IGNORED

Horn Stays On

freetime2247

freetime2247

Hit the horn button on my 2012RT this am and now I can't get the horn to stop. The switch is broken. I called the local BMW shop and they have order another left handle bar switch which was just replaced under recall 10 months ago.

I would think BMW's QC would be much better. I have an 06 Honda ST1300 that I have rode over 94k miles without any electrical failures. My RT has just 13K miles and now I have to replace another switch.

It's still a great bike I just wish things didn't break so often.

Hi Freetime. Is it possible a bug (or spilled drink if you use a cup holder) or something has made its way into the switch/spring area and got squashed when the button was pressed, and the ensuing goo has discouraged the switch from disengaging? You might try spraying some electrical cleaner inside the switch or remove it.

It's frustrating when things go wrong / break. When I read your topic, the first thing I thought of the the horn sticking scene on the VW bus in 'Little Miss Sunshine'.

What other issues have you been having?

spray it with Corrosion X and keep pushing the button. If it is wet, corroded, etc... Corrosion X will clean it up. If that isn't it then one of two things likely...the button assembly or the horn relay. I had a horn relay go south a few years ago and has similar issue on an airhead.

freetime2247

I've had no other issues with the bike. The dealer did tell me the horn button was most likely broken and they would replace the whole cluster. However, I will try WD40 tonight and see if that frees up the button.

I've had no other issues with the bike. The dealer did tell me the horn button was most likely broken and they would replace the whole cluster. However, I will try WD40 tonight and see if that frees up the button.

Probably too late for,this, but I wouldn't use regular WD-40, which eventually turns gummy. There's a WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner. Also, DeOxit is an excellent product that often restores electrical contacts to like-new condition.

Left switch cluster replaced by dealer under warranty. Works like new again!
Yup that pretty much is the fix for it. Glad your back on the road.

Archived