IGNORED

'02 RT TB Synch air nipples with gas?

chrisz

Hi,

The weather finally broke 10C and I decided to take the bike out for a spin after a long winter break. After about an hour of riding around, I came home to perform a TB synch (my first). Anyway, (with the engine off) as I was preparing to hook up the Twinmax I removed the air nipple from the left side and noticed that some fuel came out?! Went over the the right side, and the same amount of fuel came out of the nipple. In total about a <tsp of fuel came out of each air nipple. Went ahead with the synching, everything went well, just a small adjustment was needed. But I'm wandering about the fuel, is this normal? Bike started and ran well all throught my ride and synching.

Thanks,

Chris...

Hi,

The weather finally broke 10C and I decided to take the bike out for a spin after a long winter break. After about an hour of riding around, I came home to perform a TB synch (my first). Anyway, (with the engine off) as I was preparing to hook up the Twinmax I removed the air nipple from the left side and noticed that some fuel came out?! Went over the the right side, and the same amount of fuel came out of the nipple. In total about a <tsp of fuel came out of each air nipple. Went ahead with the synching, everything went well, just a small adjustment was needed. But I'm wandering about the fuel, is this normal? Bike started and ran well all throught my ride and synching.

Thanks,

Chris...

I have never encouuntered this on my boxer. How is your air filter? A dirty air filter might cause reduced air flow at partial throttle with some fuel blow back into the TBs. Also, check valve lash.

Chris,

Did you fill it up extra full while you were out?

Sometimes fuel expansion can force raw fuel into the carbon canister which then sends it to the throttle bodies by way of the tubes on the 'sync nipples'.

Regards,

Carl

Clive Liddell

TADT (or both mine do that) and if it bothers you leave the bike ideling while you pull off the stopper (or pipe) and connect up your balancer.

ps. Don't forget to place a fan or fans in front of the bike while balancing.

Thanks to all.

I still had the winter gas (full tank + stabilizer) when I took the bike out for a ride to warm things up. Then I proceeded to do the TB synch. I did the synch outside at around 10C, hence didn't need the fans as it only took about 10 minutes and the oil temp never rose above the half way mark on the RID.

I will leave things as is and just monitor the bike performance.

Chris...

Archived