IGNORED

New tires 2014 R1200RT

hefy_jefy

First it always amazes me how great this bike feels with new rubber! This time around I changed them myself. I just got the local guy to actually fit them on the rims, I was bit nervous about the sensors of course but he did a great job for $50 saving me lots of $$$$s.

Couple of things that are not in the handbook:

1. You have to take the muffler off to remove the rear wheel - no biggie.

2. You need a very long flexible torx to release the screw that holds the (metal) clip that holds the ABS cable on the front fork, do it from the opposite side between the spokes.

3. The front brake calipers only just clear the rims, be sure to twist them to push the pistons back.

4. With the front wheel lifted as far as you dare without toppling off the center stand you still can't quite get the front wheel out from under the front mudguard, you need to remove the four screws so the mudgard can be bent slightly.

Geoff

Take the front fender off or remove the rear wheel first and raise the front of the bike and the front wheel come right out.

Two screws and pull the front fender completely off and out of the way. Not sure about your description of the ABS sensor/cable ? Mine is quite easy to get to.

The manual states to remove the muffler, and while some have loosened it and twisted it enough to get the tire off, I find removing the muffler quite easy and fast. Do put a bit of anti-sieze on the muffler to headpipe joint to keep it easy to remove.

Archived