IGNORED

Decision Time

bmwdavid

I am looking for a little advise and have a few questions. It has come down to a decision between two bikes. A new 2016 R1200RT with large top case(central locking and interior light but no light bar on the outside) for $22,780 out the door including first service. 2nd choice is a new leftover Moto Guzzi Norge with Factory top case installed for $12,000 out the door. This decision I have to make by end of day tomorrow.

My questions are these.

1.The 2 color choices are Ebony or Platinum Bronze. I owned the Ebony but will not be able to see the Bronze before deciding. Which seems to be the best looking of the two choices?

2. Motorcycle.com just released an article and announced some changes for 2017. They mention banking-optimized ABS pro, dynamic brake lights,judder damperson transmission output shafts, revised selector drum actuators, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing. Are any of these changes important enough to wait for? I don't think the added colors are worth waiting for. Any advise would be appreciated. I will not be able to respond for 44,000 seconds but will read all responses and hope to make a decision by tomorrow.

realshelby

I think you would regret the Norge soon after you bought it. Yes, it is cheap. For a reason. It may have character, but that used to be a word for unresolved issues. Probably hard to sell the Norge if you tire of it.

I have Ebony and would buy that color again considering what it available. It looks black at times, root beer at other times ( bright sun ) but gives the bike a classy look, especially when it looks black. But color is personal.....

As for the new improvements, I don't doubt they would add to an already very satisfying machine. Is is worth waiting on one and paying the extra money? Sounds like you are ready to buy now, and I will say that the joy you get out of a new bike is best enjoyed sooner than later....

I love Guzzi's and like the Norge but I don't think there is any comparison to the RT. I own a 2015 and love it. Color is really your decision. The updates on the 2017 sound apealing to me and I love the new color white also. I would wait IF IT WERE ME. Hey you could have worse problems :-)

John in VA

I don't know enough about MG to offer an opinion, but I wouldn't wait for a 2017 RT just for the mechanical refinements. As long as you keep some kind of warranty on your BMW, you're good to go. (I'd never own any late-model BMW without a warranty or service contract -- I've been burned.).

I've seen the Bronze and it looks best to me of the 2016 colors. Neither of the two new 2017 colors (black or white) appeal to me at all but it's all personal preference.

Like JohnH, I would wait for the '17 RT as well! Those updated electronics, in particular the lean-optimized ABS Pro! Dynamic brake light can be added to the older models quite inexpensively.

In addition to the other points that have been made, remember you're getting the "deal" on the 2016 because it's about to be a model year old. Once the 2017 is launched, the 2016's will depreciate pretty rapidly. With that in mind, the question really does come down to equipment and color, which only you can decide on. If you prefer the current colors available in 2016, go for the 2016. If you can live with the 2017 colors and would like the latest equipment, go with the 2017.

I don't think it is worth waiting until 2017 due to cost and the fact that I don't care for the new colors. Took months of waiting and negotiating to get this pricing. I owned the Ebony and it was tough to keep clean and showed water spots pretty bad. think I'm going to get the Bronze.

John in VA

BMW's July $950 cash and .9% financing look pretty good to me on top of whatever deal you've negotiated with the dealer.

Buy a new BMW in the month of August, purchase 1500.00 worth of accessories and get an additional 500.00 in accessories on top of whatever deal you've already made with your local dealer.

MB>

I was going to put a deposit down on Tuesday but wondering where you saw the $500 rebate for purchasing $1500 worth of accessories. They already discounted the top case to $800 so I don't think it will apply. They are selling me a 16 RT with a msrp of $23,460 with the central locking top case for $22,780. This includes tax, title and all other fees. I thought that was a killer deal based on other dealer quotes.

As far as waiting for the 2017, I don't think there will be any kind of discounts until the end of next season and not sure they will be discounted as much as this 16.

Does that 22,780 include BMW's July $950 cash?

The .9 financing makes sense if you want to invest your cash and make payments in cheaper future dollars.

Buy a new BMW in the month of August, purchase 1500.00 worth of accessories and get an additional 500.00 in accessories on top of whatever deal you've already made with your local dealer.

MB>

Interesting BMW would announce an August marketing program the middle of July. I'm sure the dealers really appreciate that!

My local Triumph dealer just offered me a new leftover 2015 Trophy with top case, front mud guard, heated seats and first service for $17,000 including tax and all fees out the door. That is a savings of $5800 over the RT but the Triumph is a little tall and top heavy. Having a short inseam I may still choose the RT.

I would rather buy a used 2014 or newer RT than the Norge or Trophy if price is a big concern.

There was one here for $14K iirc the other day.

Not sure why all of a sudden I had a hard time letting go of my money. I agree with it not being a good idea to go for the Guzzi or Triumph. I was holding out because I thought the 2016 Harley Road Glide Ultra would have been a better choice for more relaxed 2 up riding but found that even used ones are $23000 without tax. I also am not convinced all that weight and heat will work for me.

It may be time to just buy the RT before the loaded Platinum at the dealer is sold.

I just came off a late model Harley FLH and both my wife and I like the RT much better. I held on to the harley for three months after i bought the RT. I loved the Harley but we never rode it after getting on the RT. When on long trips now we stop for less than half the breaks we used to when traveling on the Harley. I put a luggage rack on the top of the top box and the RT carries just as much PLUS we don't have to stop for fuel as much either. The RT rocks for two up touring in my opinion

What makes me nervous is the transmission refinements BMW is making to the 2017 RT. There are a lot of people on this Forum who complain about the hard shifting and clunk of the 14 thru 16 RT. BMW may be just making up fancy names to describe a smoother shifting tranny. It is easy for owners of the 14 thru 16 to say it isn't so but I wonder. I'm not worried about the other refinements because BMW does this all the time but the transmission is something to think about.

It is my opinion that these unhappy persons need to ride some other bikes. I really believe they would then understand that a machine with 125 horsepower and 94 lbs ft of torque will have a transmission heavy duty enough to handle it. Since we are NOT hearing of gear teeth being snapped off, shift drums exploding through engine cases, or bearings seizing to shafts I think it is fair to say the Wethead transmissions are fairing better than some previous Boxer models!

I have a 15 RT and it shifts just fine and the shift assist works great as well. You need to remember this is a big twin and doesn't shift like a multi cyclinder bike but mine sure isn't rough.

GT

Maybe you guys are right. BMW always tweaks and modifies the model right up until they redo it completely. Guess I really need to stop making excuses and jump on the deal I have in front of me. Even if I wait until the end of next summer the 17 will still be more money than the 16. I asked Max bmw if they were aware of any tranny issues and they were unaware even though they are trying to sell me a bike.

It is my opinion that these unhappy persons need to ride some other bikes. I really believe they would then understand that a machine with 125 horsepower and 94 lbs ft of torque will have a transmission heavy duty enough to handle it. Since we are NOT hearing of gear teeth being snapped off, shift drums exploding through engine cases, or bearings seizing to shafts I think it is fair to say the Wethead transmissions are fairing better than some previous Boxer models!

Right. The most immediate concern, in light of the issues found in some recent iterations of BMWs, is reliability. With rare exceptions, the wetheads seem to be performing well--there just aren't any common points of failure as there were with final drives a few years ago, and with the first of the wetheads now having been on the road for over three years, if there was a fundamental issue you'd have read about it here and elsewhere.

The second concern is how well it works on a day to day basis. Unlike some here, I haven't owned dozens of motorcycles, but I've owned three BMWs over the past 17 years, and this transmission is a marked improvement--clutch engagement is clean and progressive, shifts are smooth, and Shift Assist is remarkable, though admittedly the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts can be a bit abrupt if you don't know how to use the system. I don't think that there's any problem to be fixed, so the changes are most likely just a further effort at refinement.

Cant go wrong with Max BMW. I travel from Long Island to go to their Brookfield CT Store. Great people to do business with.

Wow I've had a 2015 and a 2016 RT and both the Transmissions shifted like butter, much better than any Harley.

I does clunk going from Neutral to first, but shifting is a dream either using the clutch or shift asst. pro.

Dave

I am going to test ride the 2016 Road Glide Ultra this weekend with my wife. It is going to be in the high 80s this weekend and if the heat output is unacceptable the bike is no longer a consideration.

After discussing the test ride with my wife she commented that she wouldn't be riding much with me because of all the reports of bike accidents and all the texting. She has mentioned this before and I am wondering at this point if a big touring bike like the Road Glide makes much sense if it is just me. As a matter of fact I sold my 14 RT because I found it wasn't as much fun to not have a partner to ride with. She suggests I find a sports car or something like the Polaris slingshot which I don't think I'm interested in. When I had the RT it seemed like I went out for short rides by myself with nowhere to go and wish I either had a destination, another biker to ride with or at least someone on the back. I don't want to spend $23,000 again and feel the same way.

If your touring days are over and want to just tool around short rides occasionally by yourself just for fun you might want to consider something like a new Triumph Bonneville T120 or a Street Twin for half of the cost of an RT. They're modernized classic street bikes.

freetime2247

I own both a 2006 Honda ST an a 2012 RT. I can safely say that the boxer motor is a beteer summer bike as I have no heat issues with the RT. We as the Honda ST puts out way too much heat off the engine in the summer. My riding buddy also has a Harley Road Glide and he says it too puts out tons of heat off the engine in the summer.

My take is BMW bikes will have less heat off the engines.

I don't want to spend $23,000 again and feel the same way.

Your issue is not which bike to buy, it's coming to grips with the fact that it's not the right direction for you to take at this point in your life. You've been down this road rather recently and it seems that factors external to the motorcycle led to it not working out.

There's no shame in this--some of us have left motorcycling and stayed away. Others have taken a break, sometimes lasting decades. If the right time arrives at some point down the road, you'll know it.

Until then, enjoy your Slingshot.

What he said.

Comparing the RT and Harley for the same duty is shortsighted IMO.

They are very different bikes, both do well in their niche, but the BMW is better in so many ways wrt handling, again, IMO.

Archived