IGNORED

HELP Please - torque value of bolt (8mm ?) that holds handlebar -14' RTW

paRTy

HELP Please - Can someone please tell me the proper torque value of the bolt (8mm ?) that holds the handlebar in my 14' RTW?

Thanks very much

Handlebar weight to handlebar M10 x 50 40 Nm

Handlebar fitting to handlebar M6 x 30 8 Nm

These were from a spreadsheet someone put out there (can't remember where) that had a pretty comprehensive list of torque values.

40Nm = 29.5 ft lbs

8Nm = 6 ft lbs (or 71 in lbs)

thanks Narcosis.

Im a bit confused.....

"Handlebar weight to handlebar M10 x 50 40 Nm"

Just want to make sure - this is the torque for the handlebar itself going into the slot/tunnel of the triple tree, right? Bigger bolt that holds the handlebar in? Not the bar end weights correct? They would be the smaller of the two torques, if I'm correct .

thx

Afternoon paRTy

OK that one is easy-- tight enough that it won't come loose but not so tight as to strip it.

All kidding aside-- I haven't ever seen a torque number on that bolt (in either my wethead manual or in my older hexhead/camhead manual.

That bolt is not a service type bolt so BMW apparently didn't think they needed to supply a torque value.

On hexheads I usually put a small dab of blue lock-tight on those bolts then just snug them up pretty good with a standard 3/8" drive ratchet.

Thx Dirtrider, really appreciate your time on this.

Interestingly,

- Ilium says to torque their risers w/the handlebar in at 33ft lbs.

- Helibars at 30 ft lbs.

Just not sure if that is specific to "their risers and material" or can be used for BMW also.

Afternoon paRTy

OK that one is easy-- tight enough that it won't come loose but not so tight as to strip it.

All kidding aside-- I haven't ever seen a torque number on that bolt (in either my wethead manual or in my older hexhead/camhead manual.

That bolt is not a service type bolt so BMW apparently didn't think they needed to supply a torque value.

On hexheads I usually put a small dab of blue lock-tight on those bolts then just snug them up pretty good with a standard 3/8" drive ratchet.

This would explain why my Haynes manual for the RTW did not have a torque spec either. Just past RT's.

Thx Dirtrider, really appreciate your time on this.

Interestingly,

- Ilium says to torque their risers w/the handlebar in at 33ft lbs.

- Helibars at 30 ft lbs.

Just not sure if that is specific to "their risers and material" or can be used for BMW also.

Afternoon party

hex_cam%20handlebars_zpsxorzdz3a.jpg

I believe the torque for the those bars are 19nm. (could be wrong, though)

- I watched the video on the Ilium bar risers for my bike and he tightened the top part of their bars with the oem bar and instrument clusters to 33ft lbs. , lower part of their bars (oem slot where bars and instrument cluster used to be) to 17 ft lbs.

- Helibar instructions on their site say to torque their bar with instrument clusters, etc to 30 ft lbs once you install their bars.

I believe the torque for the those bars are 19nm. (could be wrong, though)

- I watched the video on the Ilium bar risers for my bike and he tightened the top part of their bars with the oem bar and instrument clusters to 33ft lbs. , lower part of their bars (oem slot where bars and instrument cluster used to be) to 17 ft lbs.

- Helibar instructions on their site say to torque their bar with instrument clusters, etc to 30 ft lbs once you install their bars.

Afternoon paRTy

I guess you have to go by the recommendations of suppliers of the parts that you are installing.

My only concern is 30 or 33 foot lbs is a LOT for an 8mm bolt.

My general bolt torque usage chart shows a max of 40nm for a m8 12.9 bolt. (I doubt the stock BMW bolts are a 12.9) --more likely 10.9 or an 8.8

If they are an 8.8 then you are looking at a general torque of 24nm (17.7 foot lbs)

If they are a 10.9 then you are looking at a general torque of 34nm (25.1 foot lbs)

Added--those same attachment bolts on the hexhead are M8X40- (8.8 )

My apologies Dirtrider, I believe the bolt size in question is a 10mm, not an 8mm.

Perhaps that's why 30ft lbs. of torque would work?

My apologies Dirtrider, I believe the bolt size in question is a 10mm, not an 8mm.

Perhaps that's why 30ft lbs. of torque would work?

Afternoon paRTy

Yes, 30ft lbs would be right in the ball park for 10mm 8.8.

Archived