IGNORED

Rear Tire Removal

narcosis

Page 122 of the manual says

Make sure ground is level and firm and place motorcycle on its center stand. Shift into first gear. Remove bolts 1 of rear wheel, holding wheel as you do so. Roll rear wheel out toward rear.

Not happening. Did I miss something? It appears that I'm going to have to remove the muffler but thought I'd check here first before I continue. Already swung the brake caliper out of the way and angled the tire...just would not roll out. Fitting end to a rough day.

Thanks in advance for wisdom & guidance.

Ken

Yep the muffler needs to be moved. I don't think it's a good idea to break the bolts free while on the center stand, I leave them snug before lifting up on center stand. Installing the tire I also only snug them up but torque them while on the ground. Tie off the center stand this avoids the possibility of the center stand folding up if the bike moves while working on it.

Jay

Excellent suggestions Jay, thanks. Hopefully I'll get the tire repaired today and back on tonight. Second time I've punctured the rear tire.

Ken

I was able to get it past the muffler by letting the air out of the tire making it slimmer and worked it out that way.

In the end, removing the muffler was easy and beneficial. Cleaned the muffler up real nice and with it off, wide open spaces for putting the tire back on and torqueing it down.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not changed tires on this RT yet but on some other bikes I've gotten the needed clearance by putting a piece of 1" x 4" under the center stand to boost the bike up a bit. If letting the air out of the tire got one of us enough clearance a thin board under the center stand may do the same thing for us.

Archived