IGNORED

Gasoline Leak - Need Some Advice from My Friends!

Rogue_Trader

Rogue_Trader

I just found out that the source of the gas smell in my garage for the last couple of days is my K1200 GT (2003).

There is gas pooling inside the bottom cowling. I can't tell where it's coming from...I had my plastic disconnects replaced by metal ones some years ago. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem? Any ideas as to the source?

And - I am considering this unsafe to ride (to the repair shop 70 miles away) due to pooled gas within 2" of the header pipes. Any other viewpoints?

Lastly, would this be a user-repairable thing, if I can get the parts? (need to figure out exactly what's leaking of course, after removal of fairing etc.) A 70 mile tow job would be a PITA, but that might be where I am headed. Calling them in the AM.

Thanks!

Rogue_Trader

Ok, I'm not a human torch yet. The source of the leak is somehow with the quick disconnect system. This had previously leaked some years ago with the plastic stock fittings, but now is leaking with the metal replacements. Exactly what is at fault, I do not yet know.

I need to take off the right side panel to see what is going on. I've gotten all the screws out, but am afraid of breaking something, because it's still not coming off. (BMW mechanics do this every day, but I would break it without instruction.)

So - I am looking for a video, or other instruction, as to how this side panel comes off without breaking anything. In the meantime, I am leaking gas at one drop per second.

Thanks

Bill_Walker

My bet would be a damaged o-ring on the quick disconnects. It's really easy to do if you don't get the alignment perfect when you're connecting or disconnecting them. Either that, or your fuel line split. Sorry, I can't help with the K-bike bodywork.

Rogue - try an internet search on "2003 bmw k1200gt fairing removal" - you'll find a lot of posts and some videos.

Pirate's Lair

Scroll down, there is a video for 97-01 RS removal, essentially the same.

There are some hidden screws, this should help you find them.

A good source for RS/GT info.

The long side panels can be tricky to remove 1st time.

To better understand the technique, see this video on YouTube. Although it was filmed on a K1200RS, it is essentially the same fairings parts as your 2003-K1200GT except for 2 handguard pieces and the lower black plastic feet extension:

Rogue_Trader

Thanks to all for the help. I was able to work my way through the fairing removal, and could clearly see it was the metal quick disconnect(s) that was leaking. Credit to the parts guy, he suggested it might just be the O-rings. I purchased a set of new metal quick disconnects, and two O-rings, not knowing which was needed and since I live a good distance from the dealership. Turns out the metal quick-disconnects are virtually indestructible. But one of the tiny rubber O-rings critical to making them work was nicked, I know not how. So - I replaced the O-rings on both of the quick-disconnects, and no more leak!

Our shop replaces the o rings each time the quick connects are disturbed.

They are cheap insurance. You can order a sack of them from Beemer Boneyard.

Archived