IGNORED

Location of Powelet socket for passenger

kioolt

I will most likely be purchasing a R1200RTW in the near future. I didn't notice a powerlet socket for the passenger when I went to look at the dealer. Where are people putting them for the passenger? A picture would help if available.

I will most likely be purchasing a R1200RTW in the near future. I didn't notice a powerlet socket for the passenger when I went to look at the dealer. Where are people putting them for the passenger? A picture would help if available.

What do you want to run off it?

This is an IMPORTANT question.

If you guys use heated clothing, you will have to do some wiring modifications and run an independent switched supply to that outlet?

Why? Well, because BMW, in their stupidity, limit the current to the power outlets to a point where they are not usable for a rider and pillion with year round touring ambitions!

If the past is any indication of what I'll plug into the outlets it will at most be two vests while riding and an occasional air pump. I will probably wire them direct to the battery.

I can tell you another thing about the socket location.

My passenger's BMW branded heating vest works fine but ONLY after you plug it in... the hard part is getting to that sucker plugged in. It seems to want to require a double u-joined wrist... and you better not try to plug it in wearing your gloves either.

The first time we used the vest she ended up having to unplug the cord at the vest so I could contort my wrist to plug it in.... then she mounted the bike, and then I plugged the vest end of the cord back into the vest. Awkward.

I don't mind the location, I do mind the difficulty of actually using it.

and... My BMW heated vest, of course, has the vest-plug on the Left-hand side of the vest, while the rider's socket is on the Right-hand side. Works OK as long as you do not mind the cord stretched across the fuel tank... and that cord is not all that long either...

Archived