IGNORED

Maint schedule for R1150RT

rdfarr

Just bought a '04 RT. There is no schedule of required maintenance in the maintenance manual. Where can I get a list of what's to be done and when?

I noticed belatedly that the maint log is not filled in except for the delivery inspection. The bike has 12K miles. Is the warranty still good without evidence of required service being done?

There is a PDF of the schedule on this site:

MAINT SCHEDULE:

My dealer just gave me a sticker for my book whenever I went. Maybe the last owner never bothered to put them in. I believe that you should be able to contact any dealer and their computer will have the maint. performed. (I could be wrong because my dealer is pretty stingy when it comes to looking at the service writer screen.) I can't imagine that the warranty people don't have a way to check this other than a scribble in a book.

Take care,

If you're going to wrench on it yourself you're going to need a good service (shop) manual anyway. Try Motobins in the UK at www.motobins.co.uk for a great price (relative to stateside anyway) and there is a schedule in the file on the disc. I printed out a dozen or more and fill one out with each service and file them away. You probably don't have any major issues with having the 6K mile service skipped, unless a valve or two has really tightened up too much. I would try to get to a TechDaze if you're tentative about it and/or just take your time and do a THOROUGH 12K service using the shop manual, maybe a Haynes or Clymer (for pics) and the resources here (including the search function! naughty.gif ).

You'll also likely need an annual service by now, including the clutch and all four EVO brake circuits. And you might as well do the fuel filter while you've got the tank off at this time. The valves are probably the most important as they are the most vulnerable to damage early on if they tighten up to the point of burning one or more. The bike also burns a lot of oil in this early period (although I think I heard this was less with the 2004+ models), but the oilheads with the extra reserve for the oil cooler loop can be run lower than the old airheads without frying anything.

In short, do a complete and careful service and if you don't find anything obviously upgefracked, you'll probably be fine. If you like the way it runs now, you'll really like the way it runs with fresh plugs (all four of them: your bottom ones might still be fouled from the initial ring seating), the initial stretch slop removed from the throttle cable, the valves properly adjusted and the TB's balanced carefully. thumbsup.gif

Also:

You need to make sure the 600 mile service was done. Heads get retorqued at this time and WOULD be an issue later if problems developed because of this.

As others said, a dealer can check your vin to see if maintenance has been done (at a dealer).

Archived