IGNORED

USB Socket in Pannier

axabmw

Has anyone come up with a solution for fitting a USB socket in one of the panniers? Looking to be able to charge a cellphone while riding and my intercom overnight (with helmet in pannier.)

Thinking of short lead from accessory socket to outside of pannier Obviously detachable.

Weatherproofing may be the biggest issue. Is pannier double skinned?

All suggestions accepted.

Has anyone come up with a solution for fitting a USB socket in one of the panniers? Looking to be able to charge a cellphone while riding and my intercom overnight (with helmet in pannier.)

Thinking of short lead from accessory socket to outside of pannier Obviously detachable.

Weatherproofing may be the biggest issue. Is pannier double skinned?

All suggestions accepted.

Afternoon axabmw

Yes the pannier is double walled.

I'm not sure that using the rear accessory socket will totally do what you want as that accessory socket shuts off a short time after key is turned off.

You could add a small waterproof plug in the outer shell of the panier then add a 2nd plug under the rear seat to attach a 12v cord between them (just have to remember to unplug the cord before removing the pannier)

Might be easier to use a small chargeable power pack that charges up while you ride then use that inside the pannier to charge the phone & intercom at night.

I guess where I'd start is with a Powerlet outlet kit. As dirtrider notes, you'd have to hard wire this. If the setup is deep enough to work with a double-walled pannier, then all you'd have to do is plug a USB adapter into the outlet (Powerlet sells those, too). If you want to take the pannier off occasionally, I'd think an SAE connection would be a good way to accomplish that.

Thanks guys. That gives me something to work with.

I might see if the local dealer had a damged pannier I could try with first.

Archived