IGNORED

Camhead Maintenance/Splines

Heyfrank

Trying to grease splines. Got swing arm down but seems not enough. Done research everywhere and hays manual. Not like the 07 rt I had. This bike is 2010 1200 RT camhead. Do I have to take the swing arm off? Is Honda moly ok to use?

Thanks

RichardSpag

Frank,

I can't answer your question about the spline lube - but I just thought I'd chip in and say that if you are going to do the splines, take a close look at the needle roller bearings on the joint of the final drive onto the drive shaft housing (which are not well protected from the elements). If you are unfortunate enough to use your beemer in the wet, you may find that these roller bearings may be corroded solid. You sound like a hands on guy -so this may not be much of challenge, but they are not easiest thing to replace (along with their sleeves). At least it is not too expensive a job - just a pain in the ***.

Cheers

Richard

Trying to grease splines. Got swing arm down but seems not enough. Done research everywhere and hays manual. Not like the 07 rt I had. This bike is 2010 1200 RT camhead. Do I have to take the swing arm off? Is Honda moly ok to use?

Thanks

Afternoon Frank

I'm not sure why you are greasing the drive shaft splines (that isn't a maintenance item) but if want to do it then it won't hurt anything either.

You usually have to take the swing arm off to get the drive shaft out & grease the front splines. But you m-i-g-h-t be able to move the shaft back in the swing arm just enough to get the boot out then grease the splines (it will be very/very tight & difficult to access so will probably be more work than just pulling the swing arm off)

On the rear you should be able to just tilt the final drive down (after removing caliper & removing/or/disconnecting the speed sensor) but it is very tight so I suppose there could be a stack up of tolerances that might require the final drive be moved back or removed.

On the grease? BMW calls for Optimoly TA High-temperature assembly grease but the Honda moly would probably work OK as that is a good spline grease.

Thank you gentlemen. No wonder I could not find maintenance on that.04/07 rt needed it so I thought the 2010 did also. Bought used and just checking everything I can think of including changing alternator belt. It looked fine. Thanks for your opinions.

Archived