IGNORED

Speedo down again

bmweerman

Just replaced the speedo drive on the RT before last weekeends trip. Worked great for 180 miles...except it would flutter from time to time....then nothing.

Any thoughts?

Tear into it.

Always a good idea!

...that's just it though.. I have and everything seems ok...

all the way up to the speedo itself which I have not taken apart...

was hoping for some advice on the next step ...should have been more clear.

TIA

Cameron

You say that you replaced the "speedo drive"....so I'm presuming that you did the $50 part at the bottom end of the cable....that fits inside grease seal of the wheel?

If you did...then I may not have much to offer other than you might try retreiving the spacers under the plastic bevel drive gear of the original drive unit, and put them under the same part of the new gear. It's been my experience that the metal ring (inside the wheel) wears a groove in the plastic gear over time, and then it soon no longer makes any contact at all. (It's supposed to push the plastic gear ahead of it..) On my last failure with this, I ended up tweeking the "wings" of the metal ring so it made contact in a different spot. Best of luck to ya!

Pat

so I'm presuming that you did the $50 part at the bottom end of the cable.

I did indeed... although it was a used drive with 19k miles on it from beemerboneyard...I will look into what you said though..sounds like a good direction to go.

Will let you know.

Thanks

Cameron

Jerry Johnston

Easy to tell if it's the Speedometer or the driving unit by using a varible speed drill to turn the cable from the bottom.

Oh yeh, I second the Happy birthday !

Archived