IGNORED

engine problem

pdpwcd

2015 rt with 6100 miles riding at highway speed motor goes down to about 1000 rpm lucky to be able to get off freeway to safe spot check engine light came on after a bit while waiting for tow truck tried bike and seemed to run fine but had it towed home anyway will go to dealer tomorrow hope there is a record of what happened first BMW for me

got the word from Livermore BMW that it was the throttle sensor the tech cleared the data took the bike for a ride and nothing showed as being faulty. The same thing was true when I rode the bike to the shop it ran fine. The problem I am having is the limp mode for the throttle sensor is about 1000 rpm. My son was lucky that last Sunday the traffic was very light so he was able to get off the freeway. If this were to happen again in heavy traffic you could get slammed. I do not blame Livermore for the decision that everything is fine I believe I will go to the next step to see about a new throttle sensor

got the word from Livermore BMW that it was the throttle sensor the tech cleared the data took the bike for a ride and nothing showed as being faulty. The same thing was true when I rode the bike to the shop it ran fine. The problem I am having is the limp mode for the throttle sensor is about 1000 rpm. My son was lucky that last Sunday the traffic was very light so he was able to get off the freeway. If this were to happen again in heavy traffic you could get slammed. I do not blame Livermore for the decision that everything is fine I believe I will go to the next step to see about a new throttle sensor

I can't say that I blame you, but I'd also note that, in the age of cars and motorcycles having morphed into rolling computers, these things often turn out to be one-time occurrences.

I will add that I too would want a NEW throttle position sensor!

I do a lot with DL and SV 1000 Suzukis in my business. One of their quirks is having them act up after riding at speed and in warmer conditions. They will die when pulling up to a stop sign after getting off the Interstate for instance. Then restart and they are fine for a while. Not at all uncommon, the problem is the Throttle Position Sensor. Owners will try to adjust them, say prayers over them, and whatever to keep from replacing them. They will show on a meter to work properly. But when they get hot, they fail. Replace them and all the problems go away. Even some you didn't realize you were having......

• 2 weeks later...

Bmw has decided that they will not replace the throttle sensor being that the fault cleared and the bike ran fine when the tech took it for a two mile ride. The funny part is that the original statement I made to BMW about the safety aspect of the limp mode going to 1000 rpm cannot be returned to me. My next step is through my local dealer and he will talk to the district engineering type I will see where that goes.I still feel this is a danger maybe nothing will be done now but someone should seriously look at making the limp mode rpm higher.

I don't think that the low rpm was a choice by BMW, or a limp mode. I suspect the electrical signal from the throttle was not being received so the engine was just running at idle speed.

Archived