IGNORED

Anyone USING a lithium batt on a wethead?

RTnger

The Shorai is probably the only lithium battery worth considering for a BMW, as it offers considerably more cranking power than Battery Tender. Ultimately, it's a matter of how much you are willing to spend to shed ~10 pounds of weight, and whether you live in a warm or cold climate.

A lithium battery requires a different, counterintuitive drill in cold weather: Turn on with headlight on high, and grip heaters if you have them. Hit the starter button. If it starts, fine; if not, wait 60 seconds, repeat. Down to ~36° my 1999 RT never failed to start, but there were certainly times when I wondered if it would, and finally I got tired of dealing with the R1100 low-voltage ABS reset issue in cold weather.

Fortunately, the BT lithium battery is a drop in fit for my wife's 1989 Honda VTR250, and will have plenty of cranking power for an engine that small, so it will be repurposed. I had hoped to use it on the XT225, but the battery box is just a smidge too small.

Also keep in mind that lithium batteries require a different battery charger, and can be damaged by chargers designed for lead acid batteries.

Agree with Selden.

Bought one for the DRZ last year. Wonderfully light and small. Major weight savings. This was my buying consideration.

Lasted 1 year. Battery shorted out. I'm assuming it couldn't take the beating in the dirt bike. Not positive though.

Cold weather performance marginal. Cranking in warm weather better. Cost considerably higher than other batteries.

Went back to Odyessy.

MB>

Archived