IGNORED

CAN Bus Timeouts

roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt

I'm helping someone with an intermittent stalling issue. He's taken a cold start log with his GS-911 and everything is in spec. However, his AutoScan log shows numerous CAN Bus timeout errors (below).

Before he takes more data I'm wondering how common these errors are and what they mean. Any feedback would be appreciated.

10301 CAN-bus Timeout: no communication with ANY other control units - CAN bus OFF

The fault is not present now.

41753 Can bus OFF

54100 CAN-bus timeout from Engine

2 fault codes found:

37647 CAN-bus error: No communication with ANY of the other control units

37663 CAN-bus timeout: Communication of backup vehicle mileage (BMSKP/KOMBI)

Morning Roger

What is he working on.

I haven't seen many CanBus timeout codes stored but if he has been fooling with the bike with the key left on & engine not running a timeout code could be the result.

Have him disconnect the battery for about 10-15 minutes, then re-connect & ride the bike normally (no GS-911 or ANYTHING on the power sockets or steering neck Can connector).

If the timeout codes don't come back then probably something like a GPS (or something) was at one time connected to one of the Can connected circuits.

If the timeout codes came back then have him look for something disconnected or removed from the bike (like radio, or tire pressure monitor, or anti-theft, or?? ) AND with that connector now left open with no CanBus termination resister cap installed.

OR, have him look in the power sockets for signs of a bluish/green appearing oxidation causing a slight parasitic draw due to the continuity of that bluish/green corrosion.

On the stalling-- if it only stalls after riding the bike for while, or for a distance, (especially at hi-way speeds) then focus on a stepper getting lost. The counts can still look OK but the pintle might not be where the computer thinks that it is (therefore the stall)

If the bike always stalls after riding a certain distance or after a freeway run then to confirm a stepper issue have him stop the bike as soon as possible before the stall usually appears then have him turn the engine off. Then key back on & allow a full dash boot up before restarting & riding on. (if that stops the stalling then quite possibly a lost stepper, or stepper losing counts while riding)

roger 04 rt

Thanks DR & Mike for your inputs. He is working on a stalling problem on a 2011 R1200GSA. I offered to help because he installed AF-XIEDs but I've got a good cold start data file and everything looks normal: all sensors, all short and long term trims are fine. O2 sensor voltages, etc. all good. RB

Edit: Fixed model year typo.

Edit: The stalling preceeded the XIEDs but seemed to get better for a while.

Thanks DR & Mike for your inputs. He is working on a stalling problem on a 2011 R1200GSA. I offered to help because he installed AF-XIEDs but I've got a good cold start data file and everything looks normal: all sensors, all short and long term trims are fine. O2 sensor voltages, etc. all good. RB

Edit: Fixed model year typo.

Edit: The stalling preceeded the XIEDs but seemed to get better for a while.

Morning Roger

When does he get the stalling? (ie when in the riding cycle does he get the stalling?, is it always about the same ride time, or after a high speed run, or other common time or heat cycle period)

roger 04 rt

Evening DR.

Below is how he described the problem:

"Follow up to todays phone call. My MC described above often pings under load on days where ambient temps exceed 80 degrees F. Additionally it occasionally stalls just off idle when it's at operating temps. I have been trying to diagnose an extremely intermittent stalling issue when riding my gsa at very slow speeds. When off road, creeping along and feathering the clutch, I can get an idle sputter that, unless I am quick enough to blip the throttle, the bike will stall. This stall often happens leaving at a green light or stop sign.

I'm at a loss. I do have a yellow GS911. Any assistance would be appreciated."

Archived