IGNORED

Fitting Stebel nautilus

axabmw

2012 R1200RT SE

Tried fitting a new horn yesterday, but couldn't get the screw holding the old horn bracket out. Couldn't get my ratchet in there, or a L-shaped torx key.

I had the fairing side covers off for access but still couldn't get to it.

Any Ideas on what angle to try from which tools will fit etc.

Would removing gas tank provide access?

Thanks John. That might work.

I've just ordered my LED spot lights so I'll wait till I've got a weekend off and do both jobs together now.

• 2 weeks later...

In March I installed a pair of Fiam or Hella horns, cant recall, horns on my 2013. I used a relay, wired to my fuse block, with the leads that were attached to the old horn to activate it. I need to go back in and see where I made an error because after 2 blasts, canbus turns it off until the next time I start the bike. I purchased a BMW connector to attach the relay to the original horn connector.

When I installed my Hella's I decided to try it wired direct to the horn button as the stock horn was and as my 2005 R1200RT was. I've not had a problem in the past three years of using the horns.

well Darn! It was a PITA finding a mounting spot for both the horns and the relay. Maybe this weekend will be a good time to get in there, too hot to ride anywhere. Right now it's 91 with 64% humidity.

Finally got horn fitted. Had to "adjust" the bracket slightly but now it seems to clear everything.

Must be loud enough as when I tested it, four of the neighbours came out. :-)

Don_Eilenberger

The original R1200RT did come with two horns - so that circuit is sized to power two horns. I've run dual horns (various types - currently a pair of FIAMMs) on my R1200R bikes with no relay, and never had it not work.

BTW - important point. USE the bracket that comes with the horn to mount it. That bracket (usually two thin strips of metal) is designed to let the body of the horn resonate without being damped by a solid mounting. The FIAMM instructions made this very clear, and say the warranty would not apply if the horns were used with a different bracket.

I learned this lesson about 40 years ago mounting horns on my '74 Norton Mk-III. Had some beautiful custom brackets made that looked like a "P" shape. Designed by me to precisely fit the front frame tubes, with the leg of the P sticking out forward and the horn bolted solidly to it.

They looked wonderful. But - the horns made a little fart like buzz when mounted to them. Mounting the horns with the factory supplied metal-strip mounts between my mounts and the horns made them sound like grown up horns again.

In March I installed a pair of Fiam or Hella horns, cant recall, horns on my 2013. I used a relay, wired to my fuse block, with the leads that were attached to the old horn to activate it. I need to go back in and see where I made an error because after 2 blasts, canbus turns it off until the next time I start the bike. I purchased a BMW connector to attach the relay to the original horn connector.

Afternoon bwpsg42

Two things come to mind--

One is, WHERE does your fuse block get it's 12v power from for the circuit that powers the added horn relay? If it is getting power from a computer controlled circuit (like accessory power) then possibly the horn load is tripping the internal circuit breaker.

OR, if your added horn relay doesn't have a clipping resistor or diode (it should) then it's possible that relay coil collapse is sending high voltage spike back up the control wire & causing the OEM horn circuit breaker to shut that circuit down until a re-set at re-start. (try disconnecting the horn itself but leave power relay installed & connected then try pushing the horn button a few times__ if it still trips the circuit breaker than suspect the relay is sending a power spike back up the control wire. If it doesn't trip the circuit breaker with the horn itself disconnected then suspect the horn itself if over loading the supply circuit protection.

The original R1200RT did come with two horns - so that circuit is sized to power two horns. I've run dual horns (various types - currently a pair of FIAMMs) on my R1200R bikes with no relay, and never had it not work.

BTW - important point. USE the bracket that comes with the horn to mount it. That bracket (usually two thin strips of metal) is designed to let the body of the horn resonate without being damped by a solid mounting. The FIAMM instructions made this very clear, and say the warranty would not apply if the horns were used with a different bracket.

I learned this lesson about 40 years ago mounting horns on my '74 Norton Mk-III. Had some beautiful custom brackets made that looked like a "P" shape. Designed by me to precisely fit the front frame tubes, with the leg of the P sticking out forward and the horn bolted solidly to it.

They looked wonderful. But - the horns made a little fart like buzz when mounted to them. Mounting the horns with the factory supplied metal-strip mounts between my mounts and the horns made them sound like grown up horns again.

Evening Don

I seriously doubt that how you mount a Stebel Nautilus has any effect on it's function as it has it's own air pump.

I have seen those Stebel Nautilus horns solid mounted on everything from engine blocks to tractor frames & they work good (the Stebel Nautilus isn't a wimpy vibratory horn)

They usually come with a 30 amp power relay so it would be real iffy it it world work for long on the OEM wiring or OEM horn circuit without external power to they relay.

Don_Eilenberger

DR - sorry, I thought I'd made it clear I was referring to buzzer type horns when I wrote that. Guess it wasn't clear enough. :)

True - I was referring to electronic buzzer type horns such as the common Hella, FIAMM horns. These DO require the body being able to resonate to work correctly. The Stebel could be mounted to a lead brick and would probably still work fine.

FWIW: I'm not a huge fan of the Stebel (Have a brand new one in my garage if someone is interested.. been sitting there for about 7 years..) for a few reasons.

The primary one is there is still a very slight delay in an air horn making noise between when you press the button and noise comes out. The compressor has to spin up, pressurize the short connection to the horns and the horns themselves. It's probably not much more then 1/2 second or so, but when I press the button I want HORN right now.

The second concern I have is the regular maintenance a compressor type horn requires. They use vane-pumps as compressors, and if they aren't oiled somewhat regularly the vanes will wear and eventually bind in the rotor. You can oil them by squirting oil in the air intake while sounding the horn, but that's a challenge with a loud airhorn. The old FIAMM air-horn compressors actually had a small oil reservoir with a plastic plug you could remove to refill it. It was filled with some fiber material to keep the oil from simply flooding the compressor.

I know a number of people who've had the Stebel on their bikes who went back to buzzer/horns since the compressor stopped working.

But - if it rings your bell - hey, it's your bike, not mine.

I sort of prefer the simplicity of a simple set of horn/buzzer type horns. They can come very close in dB output to the Stebel according to output tests on horns I saw posted on a motorcycle website. And the horn/buzzer sounds at the speed of electricity basically. No delay. That I really like.

DR - sorry, I thought I'd made it clear I was referring to buzzer type horns when I wrote that. Guess it wasn't clear enough. :)

Morning Don

No that wasn't clear at all as you were replying to axabmw & he was the OP here clearly referring to, & titled this thread, Fitting a Stebel Nautilus.

DR,

my fuse block is connected directly to the battery and has an internal relay, http://www.fuzeblocks.com/, that is triggered by a lead from the tail light as I recall. I have it set to have all outlets provide 12V to the relay for the horns, as well as other auxiliary items only when the key is on. I have no diode or isolation device added so will disconnect the horns and check that. Sounds logical as I have held the horn on for a good piece and it did not go off, it just wouldn't honk again. I haven't spent a lot of time trouble shooting yet so this is excellent advice. Thanks

DR,

my fuse block is connected directly to the battery and has an internal relay, http://www.fuzeblocks.com/, that is triggered by a lead from the tail light as I recall. I have it set to have all outlets provide 12V to the relay for the horns, as well as other auxiliary items only when the key is on. I have no diode or isolation device added so will disconnect the horns and check that. Sounds logical as I have held the horn on for a good piece and it did not go off, it just wouldn't honk again. I haven't spent a lot of time trouble shooting yet so this is excellent advice. Thanks

Morning

If you have 12v battery direct to the relay contacts then do look for problems due to relay coil back EMF at coil collapse.

You can buy a clipped (suppressed) relay or just add your own clipping resistor (see pix below)

Resisted%20Relay_zpscsxc9oug.jpg

Don_Eilenberger

Morning Don

No that wasn't clear at all as you were replying to axabmw & he was the OP here clearly referring to, & titled this thread, Fitting a Stebel Nautilus.

Ah, thought it would be clear I was replying to BWPSG42 who had said "In March I installed a pair of Fiam or Hella horns." Taken in the context of the thread I find the confusion confusing..

Ah, thought it would be clear I was replying to BWPSG42 who had said "In March I installed a pair of Fiam or Hella horns." Taken in the context of the thread I find the confusion confusing..

Afternoon Don

Might as well keep beating on a dead horse here--

Again, your replay was plainly & clearly a reply to axabmw so how could it be clear to us that axabmw is some sort of your special code word for BMPSG42????

Don_Responce_zps3q7gdir5.jpg

I guess I sort of hijacked the thread, my comments being not faintly connected with a Stebel horn. For that I apologize but still offer my thanks for all the advice.

Don_Eilenberger
Afternoon Don

Enjoy beating the dead horse. I tend to give up after I realize the horse died. Some people don't. In that case I simply start ignoring that person.

Afternoon Don

Enjoy beating the dead horse. I tend to give up after I realize the horse died. Some people don't. In that case I simply start ignoring that person.

Morning Don

It seems there is obviously a glitch in your mantra as you kept beating & beating & beating on this one!

Archived