IGNORED

Fuel guage not working

RT rocket

After changing my fuel filter and in-tank hoses my fuel guage is inoperative. I had to solder some new wires in places to replace wires with cracked insulation in the tank. This included reworking the sending unit connector and wires.

Are there any electrical values I can check at the multi-pin connector by the fuel line disconnects outside the tank?

Any other ideas?

It's not a huge problem as I can use my trip odometer for the season but I would like to repair my screw up at some time.

Thanks

Stan Walker

Which sender did you rewire, the one for the idiot light or the one for the RID?

Did you remember to connect the two wire cable inside the tank? That's the one that connects the sender for the RID. It's easy to forget.

Morning Paul

The first thing that can help us help you is to tell us what the gas gauge is reading with key on (ie is it reading full, or empty, or partly full)?

If anything but all the way full or all the way empty does the gas gauge reading change (at all)

after engine start up?

You can measure the in-tank fuel sender resistance from outside the tank (assuming you plugged

it back in inside the tank) but unless you have a way to move the sender float it won't tell you

much other than shorted or open.

So lets start by telling us what it reads now with key-on engine

not running______ then key-on & engine running_______.

1150%20fuel%20pump%20pass%20through_zpsulw9htvj.jpg

Yes Stan, I did rework the

The conecter from the sending unit. I had to rework the connector as the soldered pins within the the connecter were loose. Some JB weld to get things to stay in place after making connections.

DR, the RID SHOWS NOTHING as far as bars w the ke on. Even when the tank is full. Full or empty, hot or cold, nothing is showing on the RID.

Key on, key off, hot, cold, no display.

I know I plugged the fuel level sending connecter in on reassembly.

Thanks fo your help

DR, the RID SHOWS NOTHING as far as bars with the key on. Even when the tank is full. Full or empty, hot or cold, nothing is showing on the RID.

Key on, key off, hot, cold, no display.

I know I plugged the fuel level sending connecter in on reassembly.

Morning RT rocket

From what the RID shows it sounds like you have an open in the float tube circuit as low resistance equals showing full & high resistance (or open) equals showing empty.

About all you can do on the outside is verify that the fuel gauge circuit pins in the fuel tank electrical plug are making contact.

Archived