IGNORED

Tupperware screws

celebrationrev

celebrationrev

It's still in the storage shed but when we finally get to decent weather one of the projects is to replace all the tupperware screws with new stainless ones. Anybody know off the top of their head the size and/or the number it takes to swap them all out? I know the tank screws have to be shorter, so two sizes are involved.

I could go out and count, and remove one of each to take to the hardware store, but that would require busting up the ice that blocks the door and getting past the gardening equipment stored in front of the bike.

Yay Michigan!

On my 2003, I simply removed each screw and used a wire brush/wheel in my rechargeable drill and brushed the old black paint off. I did this over a year ago and they still look great!

I've had good luck with desmoparts.com for stainless steel screw kits.

They also sell individual metric stainless nuts, bolts, wavy washers, etc.

no affiliation - just a satisfied customer

Craig

Here is what you do to replace your screws. Go to your local Hardware store and get stainless steel screws. The sizes are as follows: M5x20 with an 80 pitch for the long screws and M5x16 with an 80 pitch for the short screws. I replaced the tank screws and lower fairing screws on my 04 R1150RT for about $7. To replace all screws will probably run you $10 and you can get them that day. I then used a grinder to put a point on the end of each screw so they are easy to start. Quick, easy, inexpensive, and they look great. Good luck with your project.

Keith

I bought a set of non-painted stainless with my choice of black or clear plastic washers on ebay for $15+3.50S&H. It's supposed to be a complete kit but I've replaced every one I've come across and I have some left.

Guy's name is John Martin.

Bob

Hi Craig. Try ordering SS Buttonhead screws from Mcmaster Carr online. You can get enough screws to do 2 -3 bikes for less than $12! Buy the M5 screws in 14mm and 20mm long. I copied the page that I looked at below.

Rob

Screws > Head Style > Drive Style > Material Type > System of Measurement > Thread SizeView catalog page

Compare products (13) Socket Cap Screws

13 products match your selections

ISO Specification ISO 7380-A2

Head Style Button

Material Type Stainless Steel

Finish Plain

Class Not Rated

Stainless Steel Type 18-8 Stainless Steel

Drive Style Hex Socket

System of Measurement Metric

Thread Size M5

Metric Thread Pitch 0.8 mm

Thread Style Right Handed

Specifications Met International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

Length

Length is measured from under the head for all cap screws, except flat head screws which are measured from the top of the head. 8 mm | 10 mm | 12 mm | 14 mm | 16 mm | 20 mm | 25 mm | 30 mm | 35 mm | 40 mm | 45 mm | 50 mm | 60 mm

Thread Length — Thread length comparison chart

Partially Threaded | Fully Threaded

These 13 products match your selections

Length Thread Length

8 mm Fully Threaded 92095A207 $10.48 per Pack of 100

10 mm Fully Threaded 92095A208 10.48 per Pack of 100

12 mm Fully Threaded 92095A210 11.90 per Pack of 100

14 mm Fully Threaded 92095A211 12.05 per Pack of 50

16 mm Fully Threaded 92095A212 13.34 per Pack of 100

20 mm Fully Threaded 92095A214 7.81 per Pack of 50

25 mm Fully Threaded 92095A216 4.88 per Pack of 25

30 mm Fully Threaded 92095A218 5.95 per Pack of 25

35 mm Partially Threaded 92095A220 6.43 per Pack of 25

40 mm Partially Threaded 92095A222 8.57 per Pack of 25

45 mm Partially Threaded 92095A223 7.42 per Pack of 25

50 mm Partially Threaded 92095A228 9.76 per Pack of 25

60 mm Partially Threaded 92095A225 6.48 per Pack of 10

Are they painted stainless or painted steel?

Stainless -- there's really no need to buy new ones: just clean the finish colour off the originals. thumbsup.gif

Craig

Here is what you do to replace your screws. Go to your local Hardware store and get stainless steel screws. The sizes are as follows: M5x20 with an 80 pitch for the long screws and M5x16 with an 80 pitch for the short screws. I replaced the tank screws and lower fairing screws on my 04 R1150RT for about $7. To replace all screws will probably run you $10 and you can get them that day. I then used a grinder to put a point on the end of each screw so they are easy to start. Quick, easy, inexpensive, and they look great. Good luck with your project.

Keith

First of all, the pitch is not "80" it is 0.80mm.

But second, the pitch is irrelivant. The standard M5 screw HAS a 0.80mm pitch, so there is no need to confuse the issue by quoting it. All he has to quote is "M5 x length".

Bob.

celebrationrev

there's really no need to buy new ones: just clean the finish colour off the originals. thumbsup.gif

Cleaning is an option if you have a full set. Alas, I am missing three and a couple of the others aren't originals (wrong head). So, a new set seems like a reasonably-priced and easy improvement.

My local hardware store has the right sizes, but only about 6 of each. I can probably find the rest nearby.

Anyone know how many of each?

It's still in the storage shed but when we finally get to decent weather

No more excuses Craig! The weather is good enough now!

I know you are missing some, but chucking up the screws in a cordless drill, with a piece of sand paper did the trick for me.

See you on the road around town soon.... thumbsup.gif

Cleaning is an option if you have a full set. Alas, I am missing three and a couple of the others aren't originals (wrong head). So, a new set seems like a reasonably-priced and easy improvement.

My local hardware store has the right sizes, but only about 6 of each. I can probably find the rest nearby.

Anyone know how many of each?

15 altogether, 4-20mm and 11-14mm. At least on my 1150 that's what I need. Can't remember if there is a difference on the 1100. confused.gif

Still Mcmaster Carr can sell you 50 of each for $12 or so...Lose as many as you like, you'll have more! thumbsup.gif

One thing to watch for...

The OEMs have a tapered point to help threading.

The ss set I got were square tiped and you have to be REAL careful not to crossthread them.

To piggyback on this... I'm missing ONE short screw. Anyone have an extra they'd wanna donate? (oh, I'm in some REALLY nifty riding roads right now... Some are real goat paths up in the Santa Cruz mountains!)

M

Archived