IGNORED

RT-P

Manuel

Greetings!

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1999 BMW R1100RT-P with slightly more than 40k on the odometer. The bike is currently owned by a mechanic at the local BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership. The bike came from one of the local police departments that gets their bikes serviced at his dealership.

He tells me that it has recently had all the major service work done including a new clutch, rebuild on the transmission (to replace a bent shift fork), new tires and brakes, new fuel filter and oil filter, and throttlebody sync. He's asking between 5K and 6K.

I have ridden and worked on many different styles of bikes, but I (and my friends) have never had even a single BMW, so I am very unfamiliar with what to be wary of when looking at the different models.

On the RT-P's is there anything in particular I should look for or be mindful of? How much should I expect to pay to convert the radio box section of the bike back into a passenger seat so I can tell my girlfriend I bought it for 'the both of us' and she won't be so mad it's a motorcycle and not an engagement ring? Is regular maintenace (oil changes, valve adjustment, throttlebody sync, tire changes) difficult?

I have also never owned a bike with ABS. Do I need to be super-careful with it, or can replace the pads and bleed the lines like I would on any other bike?

Thanks for the help guys. It has been almost two years since my '01 Triumph Sprint ST was killed in Colorado and I have really been missing my bike.

Manuel

Manuel,

The RT-P's are great "workhorse" bikes. They differ a little from the civilian RT's in having the radio box, an auxiliary oil cooler fan, a second/auxiliary battery (in the front "glovebox"), they are geared a little differently for more acceleration/less top end speed, they have locking kickstands, the ability to turn the main headlight on or off, and they have calibrated speedometers (and maybe different glass in the rear view mirror housings). Check out Jeff Dean's informative web site at http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/rt-p.htm

I don't know if there is anything different to look out for on the RT-P's versus a similar year of RT. The one thing that I heard is that the Metro departments can put some harder city miles on their bikes, with more stops and starts, than the Highway Patrol organizations do. You need to ride a couple of other 1100RT's along with this RT-P to feel for any differences. Not having been on BMWs before, you might find that shifting is not as smooth as you are used to, especially downshifting and getting back into 1st. But you won't know whether it is just your unfamiliarity or an issue with the gearbox unless you ride a few similar bikes.

Maintenance on BMWs is a little more difficult than on, for example, Japanese bikes, but it is definitely doable at home, and this site is a great resource for hints.

I wouldn't worry about the ABS, I would relish your ability to finally get it with a BMW. Can be a lifesaver. It is not overly delicate or sensitive on the '99 you are looking at. Later models (1150's) have linked (and power/servo assisted) brakes which some folks really don't care for. But not an issue with the 1100's. I think that a brake fluid change may be needed more often (annual?) than you are used to, but not too big an issue. No problems with changing out brake pads.

Oh, and converting the radio box: If you definitely want a bike for 2-up riding, get a civilian RT! It costs somewhere around $800-$1000 for the conversion. But for the pure utility, I love the radio box that I've kept on my RT-P.

I've heard good things about the Sprints. Not having ridden an "R" series BMW before, you will probably find it to be less smooth than your Sprint. It is an inherent characteristic of the Boxer style engine. Some folks say that they just hate it. Most owners chalk it up to "character" and just ride!

Price sounds pretty fair. I paid just under $6k for my '00 last Spring, and it was a 47k mile ex-CHP bike. The dealer had re-painted it silver for me.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1999 BMW R1100RT-P with slightly more than 40k on the odometer. The bike is currently owned by a mechanic at the local BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership. The bike came from one of the local police departments that gets their bikes serviced at his dealership.

Ditto to Tom's comments. If the bike has under 60K miles, it was probably all city miles, which means more wear and tear on most of the bike's components. If it's a '99, was probably picked up in late '98, which means it's almost a nine year old bike with 40K miles. So, a police department only put about 4500 miles a year on it?? When did the mechanic pick it up and how many miles were on the bike then? The OTHER reason a police bike has low miles is that it was "off-line" for a period of time due to wrecks or repair problems. Either way, it's not a good sign to me.

He tells me that it has recently had all the major service work done including a new clutch, rebuild on the transmission (to replace a bent shift fork), new tires and brakes, new fuel filter and oil filter, and throttlebody sync.

You won't find anyone who's more pessimistic than me on this forum. A transmission rebuild at 40K miles is unheard of, unless it was due to a spline problem (I'd avoid those bikes if possible; they tend to reoccur.) It seems like a lot of maintenance for a relatively low mileage bike.

He's asking between 5K and 6K.

Last time I checked, Long Beach BMW (in California) had 2000 or 2001 ex-LEO bikes with 45-60K miles going for about $6500 with a dealer warranty. If you pay anything over $5K, you're paying too much. You're right to be excited over buying a bike, and you can tell your girlfriend that their are no safer "colors" on a bike for visibility than "black and white". But be patient, and watch Ebay and cycle trader, and you should be able to get a better bike for less. In fact, I've seen several newer RTP's for sale in the Texas area over the last six months for under $6K. Right now the market in RTP's has been a bit "dry" since the CA CHP opted for HD and stopped turning in their bikes. But I've heard they're selling off the rest in April, so you should see another mini-glut of RTP's for sale soon, which might cause a price drop. (On the other hand, when the BMW market in authority bikes drops, the market for these bikes may actually go up, since supply will dry up, and they may become "collectables".)

I have ridden and worked on many different styles of bikes, but I (and my friends) have never had even a single BMW, so I am very unfamiliar with what to be wary of when looking at the different models. On the RT-P's is there anything in particular I should look for or be mindful of?

The only real, consistent defect appears to be in the transmission drive splines, and that's a problem in a small minority of bikes. I love my 2001 RTP. I'd rather have a 2004 model, though.

How much should I expect to pay to convert the radio box section of the bike back into a passenger seat so I can tell my girlfriend I bought it for 'the both of us' and she won't be so mad it's a motorcycle and not an engagement ring? Is regular maintenace (oil changes, valve adjustment, throttlebody sync, tire changes) difficult?

I'd either (a) ask the mechanic-seller to do the conversion as a part of the deal, or (b) do it myself ("how to" information is available online if you look). My bike came with two new gel batteries, but when it's time to replace them, I'll convert it to a single battery.

As far as ridability of the bike, you'll need to learn to "preload" (i.e. put pressure on the shifter before you clutch) to get a smooth shift, but other than that, you'll love the power and performance of this bike. It's so smooth that you'll be moving much faster than you expect, and if you're not careful, you'll be picking up "awards" from Texas cop's admiring your new ride. teeth.gif

Doppelganger

Manuel-

First, welcome to the Forum.

The other guys gave you pretty excellent info. I can only add my personal experience...

I wasn't planning on getting an 1100 last November when I took up (after my MSF course) motorcycling. I was looking at the 650 for its durability, reliability, performance and distinctive styling. There was an '05 650 at the local dealership for $7k with 320 miles on it. But right next to it was the '99 RTP with 38K in great condition for the same price. I couldn't resist...

In the beginning, it was a challenge. The ABS is an especially nice addition for newer riders. But after some months on board, I am not regretting that decision.

Last night, I found a former motocop (Rick) eyeballing my ride at the local Bike Night. Rick was now helping others learn advanced handling skills. He too said I had made a good call, and promised to bring his RTP in next Wednesday!

Good luck, have fun...

Gil McKnight

PS: IMHO-Leave the second seat off...it'll be a reason to move up (or buy a second ride!!) down the road.

Last time I checked, Long Beach BMW (in California) had 2000 or 2001 ex-LEO bikes with 45-60K miles going for about $6500 with a dealer warranty. If you pay anything over $5K, you're paying too much.

I live in Long Beach and I purchased one of the RTP's available at Long Beach BMW. You're right. They're fetching $6500 for the RTP, but the only warranty offered is a 30-day, 50/50 warranty. I talked with the sales manager at the dealer last week and she told me they are down to one or two RTPs left in inventory.

Do I need to be super-careful with [ABS], or can replace the pads and bleed the lines like I would on any other bike?

There's a bit more plumbing with the ABS in the middle there so speed bleeders or a mity-vac setup is even more useful, but you don't need to be any more careful than usual with the brake system. Pads and rotors are both replaced as usual. There's also an ABS ring that should never need replacement. The whole system works well and is easy enough to maintain.

You're looking at an 1100RT. The 1150RT had power assisted brakes. Those got more complex because of the pressurized system, but they can still be a DIY project and a number of people here can walk you through it if you ask. IMO, avoiding the power assist is a good reason to stick with the 1100 model, but others will swear by it.

Good luck.

i bought mine last april for 6400,had the usual 60,000 miles,but the dealer here converted it to the 2 -up seat,and gave me the radio box and all the rt-p stuff,traded my old harley for it and don't regret it one bit.the brakes are fantastic to say the least,look on ebay sometimes rear seats show up,,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I am still waiting for the guy who currently owns the bike to call me so I can demo it. However, I am firmly convinced that if this deal falls through, I will still try to find another RT-P to purchase.

Manuel

Hi Manuel

I bought my RT-P from Long Beach BMW last August... and I live in New Zealand. Great service and a well sorted bike.

If you want to do the rear seat contact Gina at Long Beach and they sell a complete "kit" to convert the rear. I paid $650.00 at the time and a friend and I had the conversion done in an afternoon.

There are quite a lot of parts involved in the seat conversion, it's not just a case of getting the seat pan.

I love my P model smile.gif they are just something a little different from the standard bikes and as mentioned by others come with some cool extras and heavy-duty stuff.

So what's this about CHP going to HD??? when did this happen???

Cheers

Tracy

...and I'll bet there was bugger-all consultation with the actual guys who will be riding them too.

Like they'd know anything anyway right?? They just ride the darn things.

I was at a local CHP office last week to get a VIN verification done on the LT (don't ask). Anyway I had a couple of interesting CHP comments. The first was by the desk officer who was performing the verification. He walked up to the bike and said "Wow, I didn't know that BMW made a bike this big." We talked a little about BMW wanting some of the Goldwing market, and got down to business.

Then a CHP moto rides into the lot on his bike, and he has to come over and see the other Beemer. I ask him how he likes his 1150 and he replies "Its O.K. because it is free" to him. I ask him whether he is looking forward to the R1200RT-P and unenthusiastically he replies "Yeah, if BMW gets the contract." But then he perks me up a little when he concludes "And I hope that they do."

It is interesting to see the "HD gets the CHP contract" discussions going on now, even though the CHP still has all BMWs. And of course any time someone within GSA makes the purchasing decision, it will typically be based upon the lowest initial cost.

But if HD really gets the CHP contract, I can't wait to hear the discussions when the BMWs start getting replaced in the field. And I really don't know how they will go. In some cases we will probably hear about the new "deathtrap" bikes the CHP is making the motos ride. But then again these will be brand new bikes, replacing aged BMWs, so other comments might be "sure is nice to be back on an HD again." Then, 6 months later, the commentors may or may not change their tune as the different performance characteristics, and potentially different reliability characteristics of the HDs play out.

I'm looking forward to the continuation of this saga, as long as the health and safety of moto officers is not compromised in any way.

Tom

I spoke to an Allen PD motor officer yesterday who related the following after having been to training in California:

CHP was having some issues with A&S. Harley really wanted the cache that comes with supplying CHP. The "Governator" and other California elected officials support the use of an "American Made" product, (even though they have no actual influence over the selection process, their opinions do carry some weight).

Once again, either motorcycle is the best it's brand has ever made. The real difference is the purpose for which the bike is designed and what it can be adapted to do. Most people who place a high priority on handling, prefer bikes that handle well by design. Sure with enough training and experience I can take a cruiser off-road, but why would I when I could get a bike that is already designed to do that?

I work for the government and am in law enforcement. My decade of service has taught me two things: 1. The low bid mentality has outlived its usefullness; 2. People who don't use the equipment or facilities on which the bids are taken should not have an equal or greater say in which item is purchased or how a facility is designed.

Once again, thanks for the information and I will keep you guys informed with how the purchase process proceedes.

Thanks!

Manuel

BTW Does anyone know of an RT-P for sale out there?

Archived