IGNORED

any opinions on HD 883s?

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

I am looking to pick up a smaller motorcycle and while I like the sound of HDs I am not a fan of their weight so I figured, an 883 looks sized enough to ride locally.

anyone have one? any issues? the 883 Iron is what I am leaning towards as there are quite a few cheap ones in the used market

Not a fan of HDs. Had one years ago and too many problems. That said, those that I know that have had the 883 usually have it for a short time as they all seemed to quickly want more power/speed/ bigger, what ever - you got the idea. So since you are downsizing, it might be a good bike for you. And as you are a seasoned rider, to add the usual caveats of, "make sure you do a test ride" and, "what style of riding are you doing?" seem crazy. Just go out and find out if it is the ride you want and if so, buy it.

All the best.

I have owned one. In-fact, I built a total custom 883 and it was very pretty.

Rode like a pig, no acceleration, poor stopping power, no technology (which may be a plus), Loud, poor lighting, expensive- especially due to the apparent requirement to buy custom parts,,, etc. but other than that it was moderately fun.

Of course that is one man's opinion... but I would not think less of anyone who got one. May I suggest you have a serious look at Low Riders, or Dynas.

tom collins

I have owned a 1200 sportster and a dyna wideglide. I really enjoyed both because at the time, I was really ready to ride something at a slower pace. Any Harley is at its very best on a back road at about 45-50 mph just cruising along taking in the experience. From there, I would say that they did moderately well on longer rides. On the Sportster, the small fuel tank is a limiting factor and the rubbish seat will have to go immediately. The big Harleys have larger frames and are more spread out. The only problem with the Iron or any lowered Harley is that the suspension is only OK at best to start with, when you take away 25% of its travel, you are asking for harshness.

It sounds to me from what you say that you are looking for something just to enjoy locally. If so, I think it is a fine choice as long as you ride it in the manner it was designed.

I've ridden my share of 883 and 1200 Sportsters. They were always fun for a few minutes......made a lot of noise, never handled all that well, subpar brakes, and were kind of cramped (I'm 6'2"). The growl and torque was fun, but after 20-30 mins the novelty always wore off and I lost interest. I do own something with a HD sourced power plant, but Mr. Buell was needed to fix its short comings.

95EA73C6-BCB7-4781-9D74-B162BF5C3C56_zpstrgwikbm.jpg

If I was looking for a fun local putts around bike, I'd be looking for a Triumph Bonneville.

lawnchairboy

Had a 1200 while I was in Japan. It was more than enough for Okinawa. Didn't feel like a lot of grunt but was comfy in stock form. Handled like a pig.

HAA HAA, the question has to be asked, how does a pig handle? :-)

Thought that funny, had to say something. Good comment.

szurszewski
HAA HAA, the question has to be asked, how does a pig handle? :-)

Thought that funny, had to say something. Good comment.

They can get a bit squeally in the twisties.

moshe_levy

mklmc1%20(15).jpg

This was mine from 1998-2006. Rode the wheels off of it.

How to describe a Sportster? Hmmmmm..... Well, it's the opposite of a BMW, in every way. That can be good, and that can be bad. For around town, I think it's perfect. I used to ride mine long distance, and won a bet with a friend who was convinced I would become sterile as a result.

-MKL

moshe_levy

PS - Do yourself a favor, and see if there are any Moto Guzzi V7s around too. Another perfect in-town machine.

-MKL

There's a reason that there are quite a few cheap ones for sale.

Lightweight small displacement cruiser is what you're seeking?

Daytrips only?

Give us more to go on.

The wife's bike is a Honda Shadow RS, very similar to the Sportster 883,.....just showing the options.

ShadowRS-A.jpg

2001-Harley-Davidson-XLHSportster883Hugger.jpg

I don't much like riding her little nimble bike, scraping pegs at every turn and because of the teardrop tank, the fuel light pops on at about 105 miles.

I had a Honda Shadow 1100 at the time I inherited my first BMW. It was very much like the sportster. My Godfather and very good friend passed from liver cancer and he told his wife that I should have his R1100R. After one year of owning both bikes I realized (woke up and came to the awareness more like) that I had put over 5000 miles on the BMW and about 450 on the Shadow. I sold it.

Subconsciously I guess it was just not that much fun to ride. I knew it handled poorly and just learned, "like a pig" but the awareness of mileage after one year was overwhelming.

the awareness of mileage after one year was overwhelming.

Ha......similar story, completely different style of bike for me. I had a GSXR1100 when I bought my RT. I had planned to ride it to the west coast and back, then sell it. I ended up keeping them both for about a year. That resulted in about 10k miles on the RT, less than a 1k on the GSXR. Bye bye crotch rocket

fourteenfour

well I am not giving up the RT for it, just figured the easiest and cheapest way into the HD world would be an 883. I am not expecting a good handling bike, having rented a RK before and I was a bit shocked its only 70lbs off the weight of the RT

some of you guys are doing a good job of scaring me off the brand (HD that is)

I've always felt that H-D is the ideal bike, provided that you're o.k. with being powerless over your chrome fetish and hardly ever want to stop or turn in a hurry.

Nice comparo of the R nine T and new Thruxton R in the latest issue of Motorcyclist, though. Just so you don't think I'm made entirely of snark.

I loved the looks of the Thruxton the first time I saw one......then I attempted to fold myself up into the saddle. That was a big no-go. It would be a great garage ornament, but the ergos were super uncomfortable.....at least for me

The world's largest vibrator.... There are lots of around-town bikes that would be more fun than a Sportster.

Archived