IGNORED

Camhead to Wethead upgrade, any reasons to wait?

KER

I bought one of the last few 2014 RTPs couple years ago (it is a 2014 but still a camhead) and Im having the itch to upgrade to the new wethead RTP.

So far I have heard nothing but praises from the guys riding the new ones, all saying they are a much better ride. I have never really liked my camhead (loved my '09 RTP) and I'm really getting the itch to upgrade to the new bike. I have been watching this section of the forum waiting to see if any common issues come up with the new bikes and so far I haven't seen anything. Is there any reason to wait for the next year model to come out or is the current model good to go?

I've not ridden a camhead but I can tell you I have ridden them all over 50 years and my new wethead is the best all around bike I've ever ridden.

I don't think you can go wrong. I was close to buying a Multistrada but the 15's had way too many issues. I watched the wetheads all winter waiting to see if demons cropped up--no real issues did so I made the jump.

JMHO

Knobby

All I can say is you won't be disappointed! My 3rd 1200RT 1200 and this thing is awesome. Traded my K1600 for my 15 wet head.

GT

themagicone

I was in somewhat the same spot. Having a old rt and looking at ether a 07 or a 16. Finally caved on the 16 rt. Oh my is it a wonderful thing. Only issue I have had is a buzz or vibration in the throttle. Other than that it is a dream handling. If you switch you can't go wrong.

You definitely won't be disappointed with the wethead! It is a big leap from a camhead, BUT if you have waited this long already, why don't you wait a little more and see what the new model will bring? Electronic upgrade such as cornering ASC would be most interesting, and I am sure that BMW will introduce intelligent cornering LED lights in the next upgrade to catch up with competitions!

rcklindave

Well KER just ride over to A&S and ask Kate for a test ride, you'll see and feel what everybody is talking about. my 2016 RT is much better than my 2010 Camhead

I've owned 5 RTs. 1983, 1998, 2004, 2006, and now a 2014LC. I have 22,000 miles on this one and accumulated around 300,000 on RTs. This new bike is the best.....so far :grin: No issues with the bike. Maintenance is easy with the possible exception of air filter replacement. They buried the filter under plastic behind the steering head. This bike has features that I didn't know that I needed :D Hill assist...can't believe that I lived without it! Shift assist, I feel like a racer when I use it. GPS, I never worry about finding gas or a motel. It is so easy to use once I figured out how. Sirius radio? How did life exist before? :P Then there is electronic suspension that allows me to change settings when my wife rides within seconds. Dynamic mode for the twisties. I can check tire pressures as soon as I get moving in the morning without digging out a gauge. Oil level check? Right on the dashboard. I guess that you get the picture. From a 61 YO rider who has owned 40+ bikes since I was 14, this is the best that I have owned :thumbsup:

fourteenfour

Yeah, its pretty much the best RT they have made. I remember my first RT (96) and I haven't like one as much since then (having 04, 05, and I think 7 or 9... not sure there. Even squeezed a 1300GT in too

I've owned 5 RTs. 1983, 1998, 2004, 2006, and now a 2014LC. I have 22,000 miles on this one and accumulated around 300,000 on RTs. This new bike is the best.....so far :grin: No issues with the bike. Maintenance is easy with the possible exception of air filter replacement. They buried the filter under plastic behind the steering head.

Not to hi jack this thread... Getting to the air filter isn't easy but the air intake seems to be in a very good spot. I was very surprise how clean and few bugs at 12k. No need to replace, looked about new. FYI my road to my home is rock, dust is bad which wasn't present in the filter compartment or filter.

Jay

Replacing the headlight bulbs is a PITA as well. Cornering ASC is a hardware/software upgrade, it's conceivable that they'd make it available in the 2017s but no guarantees. Hill-start control is just a software upgrade too but even though RTs have had it for 3 years it's still not available on the GS. Why?

Unlike another poster, I wouldn't ever expect to see lean-angle lighting on this generation of RTs. It would require a whole new (and expensive) headlight unit, and IIRC BMW didn't want to dilute the K16's "specialness" and/or price the RT out of its market by putting it on the RT as well.

Ride a wethead. If you like it as it is, buy it. Don't hold off waiting for some particular feature to appear.

Well, it's standard German practice to bring a "facelift" version of a particular unit at about 1/2 to 2/3 of its total life.

Facelifts are usually pretty significant--Hexhead to Camhead, 1100 to 1150, K1200 to K1300, etc.

Not for a couple years yet on the Wethead, I'd think.

Archived