IGNORED

Vibration in the throttle handle

themagicone

themagicone

I did end up getting the 2016 1200RTW I was talking about in my last post. Great bike, love the smoothness of the ride. BUT the one complaint I have after a 1000 mile run is the vibration in the throttle handle. I've been back for 6 hours and my hand is still numb from it. It could be more a buzz that vibration but dang is it annoying. The clutch side doesn't seem as bad, but also you aren't squeezing that side as much.

It has to go in for it's first service soon but figured I'd see if anyone else has had this problem.

The ride otherwise is great. It will go in to the corners like hot knife in butter. My old 96 after 200 miles I was wore out, I did 500 miles yesterday and I felt fine (well except my sweaty butt).

I see Alaska in my future with this thing.

Had a similar complaint with my '15 R1200RT with my hands going a bit numb as well - installed the weights from hvmp and the vibration was substantially reduced. Asked a buddy with a 2014 RT if he had any handle bar vibrations and he said no.....had the 12K service done and the throttle bodies reset w/o any change in the residual vibration, so I'm not sure how much variation in vibration exists from one bike to another.

I believe they have a return policy if they don't work for you.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-s/5.htm

Congrautlations on your new ride!

Keep us posted on your dealer's thoughts if you would. Hard to believe the BMW engineers weren't able to tune the vibrations out as they handlebars already are weighted - the 17oz ones worked well for me but I am puzzled how the engineers came up with the factory weight (weighted them but don't remember the value) vs a heavier one. I'm sure they tuned it for a certain frequency but who knows. Going to have to see if I can take a spin in my buddies bike - I'd guess the vibration is there but doesn't bother him.

Also heard the Grip Puppies help and I may need to try them.

Would appreciate your thoughts after you install the weights

For what it is worth, I have a 2015 R1200R and have am not seeing any vibration in the bars. I have done a bunch of 1000 km/600 mile days recently with no issues.

Keep us posted on your dealer's thoughts if you would. Hard to believe the BMW engineers weren't able to tune the vibrations out as they handlebars already are weighted - the 17oz ones worked well for me but I am puzzled how the engineers came up with the factory weight (weighted them but don't remember the value) vs a heavier one. I'm sure they tuned it for a certain frequency but who knows. Going to have to see if I can take a spin in my buddies bike - I'd guess the vibration is there but doesn't bother him.

Morning DRD

How could they tune the bar end weights (correctly) at design/factory level if they don't know how know much added mass is put on the bars from rider hand/glove weight, forearm weight, & upper body leaning weight, grip strength? They must have generic values but that doesn't fit all situations for different riders.

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

Morning themagicone

Before spending a big chunk of money of added bar end weights you might visit your local auto parts store & a buy a few strips of stick-on (adhesive backed) wheel weights.

Then warp a strip around both existing bar end weights & ride the bike for a while. Then add another strip & ride it for a while again.

You might find a weight that you need (for YOUR felt buzz) to lower the bar end buzz.

Then just weigh the entire bar end weight (wheel weights & all)-- now just find aftermarket bar end weights in that weight range to use.

ALSO-- make sure your handlebar to upper triple tree bolts are tight as that REALLY effects the rider felt bar buzz.

.....or add bar-end mirrors! Works really well for me. The extra weight helps to dampen out all the vibrations! I had these mirrors on my prior '07 RT as well as the present '15 RT:

50882d1394548756-2014-rt-mirrors-mirror.jpg

greiffster
Mine was vibration free before this post.

Your handlebars are vibration free....

ook.jpg

Glad I could help. ;)

I hate to jump into this chat with what will appear to be a silly comment... but.

Over a long time of riding... I can attest to the fact that if you grip the grip too tightly you will feel more vibrations.

I often remind myself that I just do not need to hold on that tightly.

I added Grip Puppies to my grips. I use them on all bikes. My friends even use them on their Jet Skis. They add a lot of comfort by removing vibration and providing a larger grip circumference. You should try a set. They are a cheap solution that you may like. Amazon has lots of foam grip choices

• 2 weeks later...

Archived