IGNORED

1200rt dies (electrically) on start up

RichardSpag

RichardSpag

Hi guys,

My RT had been running fine even through several hours of torrential British Summer (sorry, I meant rain). Next morning upon keying on, the start diagnostic gets as far as whirring the steppers (?) and then total electrical death! Battery reads 12.74V - but not a glimmer of anything power anywhere. I hope that my GS911 can shed some light on the cause tomorrow - but I just wondered if this was something anyone else had suffered? I have disconnected and reconnected the battery - just on the off chance, but no difference. I am hoping that this is not some sort of ignition switch hari-kari! :(

Cheers

Richard

Afternoon Richard

Which one of your 1200Rt's are you working with?

A quick guess from afar is a dead/dying battery.

Put your voltmeter on the battery BEFORE turning the key on THEN turn key on & watch the voltage as the steppers start to cycle.

If it stays above 11 volts then battery is probably not the issue but it might drop way off as the system requires more amps.

The BMW battery can look great at open circuit but drop dead at first sign of a load.

Otherwise look for a possible loose cable or loose wire connection.

RichardSpag

Hi, Its my 2011 rt.

Plugging in the GS911 gave me this:

Ignition is not ON

Killswitch not on RUN

Module is not fitted

Signal problem or faulty wiring

Like I said the bike is electrically dead in every way.

I suspect that the ignition switch may have corrosion perhaps? I have ordered a second hand unit to swap (or compare) with the original. I read with some nervousness in the haynes handbook that if I install a different switch from the original that I will have to get a BMW dealer to get the ZFE to recognise it. Please tell me that this is not so :(

Cheers

Richard

Afternoon Richard

Only if you use a different key with a different chip.

Your present key should be recognized & work.

If you just plug the new switch in & hold it externally while you try it then make sure that your original key is inside the antenna ring that is plugged into the bike's harness.

RichardSpag

Well, as it turned out it was a dodgy switch. The second hand switch was £31 - a bargain.

If anyone has this happen to them, bear in mind that you do not have to remove the top yoke to get to this unit. If you remove the fairing side panels you can gain enough access to get a torx key onto the two screws that hold this switch in place under the steering lock and tumbler unit - you just need to have a little patience and good eye / hand co-ordination!

Cheers

Richard

RichardSpag

Only to have the dreaded EWS failure this morning in the outside lane of a motorway!

What are the chances!

Cheers

Richard

Archived