IGNORED

How do I go about replacing my headlight (R1100RT)

GearedForACure

GearedForACure

So I just got my Phillips Vision Plus headlights in the mail, and I want to put them in, how the crap do I get to the headlights without taking the whole fairing off, or do I have to?

DavidEBSmith

Depends on how big your hands are. Bend down and look up inside the fairing from underneath one of the handlebars. You can see the back of the headlight. You can reach in there between the triple tree and the dashboard. On the back of the headlight there's a black connector that pops off. Then there's a big black rubber cover than pops off. (Note how these are oriented before you pop them off.) Then there's a wire clip that holds the headlight bulb in place. It's hinged on one side. You squeeze the two ears on the other side and it swings to the left (or right?) Then the old bulb just falls out. (Note the orientation of the tabs before it falls out.).

To install, set the bulb in place. Swing the wire clip back, squeeze the ears, and it clips on. (If it doesn't, you have the bulb oriented wrong). Put the rubber gasket over the back of the headlight, matching the three slits with the contacts on the bulb. Then plug in the connector. Viola.

This has already been commented on-when I started my reply,no one had responded yet. On my '98 R1100RT, I did not take off the top fairing or anything. I put on my trusty headlamp, (if you don't have one get one for the future from REI,Campmor,Sierra Trading Post, etc. They allow you to see in dark places while leaving your hands free.) and tilted the handlebars to the right. Pull the female headlight plug off the male prongs of the H4 bulb. Remove the big rubber dust cover noting how it fits-it has a "TOP" marked on it which should point to roughly 12:00 when you're done. Look in there with flashlight and notice a metal retaining clip and how it fits. Release that clip and remove the bulb. Pick up some of those cheap thin latex gloves at the auto parts store along with a small tube of dielectric grease. Put on gloves, open your new H4 bulb package, and coat the male terminals lightly with the dielectric grease. Put bulb back in, making sure that the tabs on the bulb fit correctly into the bulb housing, and secure it in position with the retaining clip. Install the rubber dust cover, making sure the TOP mark is at 12:00. If you get your grimy hands on these headlight bulbs, the sweat and dirt shortens the life of the bulb-hence the latex gloves. I use the dielectric grease on all sorts of electrical connections.

GearedForACure

Well, I just went at it last night. I got the fairing taken off. I got impatient and just went to work. Only problem is, that thing was so incredibly hard to take off, I'm not sure that I will be able to put it back on.

The new headlight is a definite improvement though. I am excited to get everything together and get out on it. I am going to be out of town all weekend so hopefully sometime next week I will be able to put the puzzle back together again.

When you go to put the tupperware back on be sure to install the scews along the top of the gas tank first! Then work your way around. Notice the dif. length screws as well. the slightly longer ones go in down by the kick plate.

I just stuck my hand in and did the change without removing any covers....worked just fine.

Also put in the Philips bulb....what a difference...love it.

Yes, remember that short screws must always go along the top of the gas tank. Longer ones would drill right into the gas tank. Don't want that. The very longest one is behind the mirror. I gather you already learned the mirror trick- you cradle the bottom of the mirror with your palm of one hand- and with the heel of the other hand you sharply strike the leading outer edge of the mirror. It pops off 3 protruding metal pegs. You can buff these up later with steel wool and put a dab of white grease on them for future ease of taking them off. Also, attach fishing line leaders to the mirrors-they can sometimes say "bye-bye" while you're tooling down freeway at 70 mph. Do a search for the mirror posts on how to do it. I would also add that I have small hands so I was able to get in there- some of you dudes with the large paws might have to disassemble a lil bit.

Archived