IGNORED

New 2016 R1200RT vs 2007

themagicone

themagicone

Hi. My trusty 1996 R1100 I think has finally rode it's last ride. On a whim I was looking at some used bikes and found a nice 2007 R1200Rt for $7900. New tires, recently serviced and 48,000 miles. Not having all of it in cash, I got offered payments of $150/month with a 3yr warranty (60 months, 9%).

While looking at it, I jokingly said a 2016 would be nice. Sales person was like it really wouldn't be much more. Oh really... Well a fully loaded 2016 would come out to $250/month on the 3asy program. 48 months, 7% interest.

So a 2007 for $150/month or a 2016 w/ Maintenance package for $250.

Do you think it is worth it bike wise? I understand a newer bike should be better but am I getting anything really different in the 07 vs 16 not counting the miles? Only think the 07 doesn't have is the ESA and bluetooth system.

Really torn right now. The extra $100 isn't a lot, nor deal breaker but not sure if is 100% worth it.

Any help?

themagicone

$100 more, which isn't much but then I will have the balloon payment at the end. Overall the interest is 2% less though.

The 16 is sure nice though.

JustKrusen
$100 more, which isn't much but then I will have the balloon payment at the end. Overall the interest is 2% less though.

The 16 is sure nice though.

Bingo! At the end of 4 years you will still owe over $10,000.

A standard 5 year loan would have payments in the range of $425. more or less. If credit is good you should be able to get a rate around 5 percent.

themagicone

How do you like you 16?

I will look what a straight loan would be. I'm like tier 4 or 5 with bmw

JWMcDonald

You may want to take a closer look at the BMW financing....

As I understand it, there is a balloon payment at the end of that package.

Just doing the math, I see that 48 months x's $250/month is coming in at $12,000. I would expect that is a helluva price for a 2016 R1200RT (unless, of course, you have made a healthy down payment).

themagicone

There is a balloon payment. Looking at a regular loan also. Right now my brain is saying just get the dang 07 and be happy with it.

You might want to ride both before you make your decision. I have never ridden a 2007 but I can tell you that after I rode a 2015 I HAD to have one and one month later I bought one

Both nice bikes...but key...live with what you can afford, don't get strapped or won't enjoy either bike and will tempted to sell at a loss... Balloon's are scary if you decide to sell along the way as will likely owe more than worth and potential insurance issue if total bike and insurance covers fair market value and you are overvalued on the outstanding debt.

themagicone

That is a valid thought. I can easily afford the extra $100/month. But after 4 years, I'll have another 4 years to pay the balloon if I don't have the money. 8 years vs 5 on the 07.

Going to test drive both tomorrow may be and see what I think.

traded my 2006RT for a 2014RT and am amazed at the difference. Never thought that I would use the electronic "toys", but now I can't imagine life without them :grin:

The wet clutch is a huge factor with me. I will never need to tear a bike in 2 again just to replace the clutch. I recently rode 4099 miles in 6 days. Loved every minute of the ride.

ummm.. thoughts....

I rode an '05 for many years before the '14 captured me. I loved the Oil-heads, as they are known, and the were followed by the Cam-heads in the 2010 timeframe. All-told they were great bikes (that being the '05-'13's).

There are many bikes in that generation at will retail at less than the price you are being quoted, and there are many older bikes that will have far fewer miles than the one you have found.

Unfortunately you have not told us where you live and I think that matters. If you are near any urban center, specially if you are in the West there will be many candidate bikes to consider. In a similar fashion you do not mention how you ride. If you are a week-end putter-arounder that is one thing. If you are an Iron Butt sort who enjoys longer rides and maybe think a run from one coast to the other is a nice short jog... that is another.

It is true that the new Wetheads are more refined, have higher performance, offer many amenities, and are of course the latest and greatest....

So, my point is... think about how you ride, where you ride and what you want from a motorcycle... then consider the emotional aspect and the money.

In short the '05-'13's are a fraction of the price of the new models and they are great bikes. There are many available at fair prices, dealers always cost more than private sales and they usually will not offer much warranty if any... these bikes are far easier to work on yourself if that is your thing. Used bikes in this era will often come with nice add-ons from previous owners.

The new era, Wet Heads, are faster, more stylish, offer advanced capability- especially in the entertainment arena, and are somewhat more comfortable especially if you are shorter in stature physically. (they are lower).

So my conclusion is that if you are a value shopper, the earlier bikes will give you a lot of bang for your buck. If money is not the deciding feature, then go for the newest.

realshelby

The problem here is...the balloon. It is the trap in this scenario. You had better be able to pay that in a lump sum or have good enough credit to easily finance the balloon payment. I will tell you that the offer you will get from the lender holding the balloon will typically be a higher interest than the market is. If you have not made payments on time or have other credit issues you will likely lose the bike as it won't make sense to refinance that amount on their terms when the time comes.

Balloons or leases seem to allow you to buy more vehicle. But there is a reason they push these options............

How do you like you 16?

I will look what a straight loan would be. I'm like tier 4 or 5 with bmw

First, on the financing. If you have good credit rating, then ask the salesman to figure out the straight BMW financing for you. I went for the straight financing when I bought my '15 RT because the rate that I had gotten was 3.75%. It might be a little higher now, but at 3.75% over 5 years, it was like free money for me.

Bike comparisons - I had owned a '07 RT for several years before I sold it and bought the '14 RT, then the '15 RT after giving the '14 back to BMW. Which bike should you get? Both are excellent sports-touring machines, and quite frankly which one you should get should depend on your finance! I would have been very happy with either bikes. OTOH, the "wetheads" ('14 to present model years) is a very big leap in performance and technology as compared to the "hexhead" ('05 - '09 RTs). OK, so both bike will get you up into the 3-digits speed easily, and the wetheads are more swift in terms of acceleration, but the part of the performance that I noticed the most is the higher torque. I can cruise along on local 2-laners (55 mph speed limit) at about 60 mph in 6th gear quite comfortably on my '15 RT, while I could never get the '07 into 6th for the same ride condition! I also loves to ride the curves hard, and always try to be in the right gear to have good margin of torque at my right wrist while going round those curves. I find that the curves that I used to ride my '07 in 4th gear, I can now do the same curves in 5th and felt that there are always plenty of torque available to really pull out of the corners!

So, if you can swing it, get the '16 RT, but if you can't, you won't be sorry with the '07 RT either!

themagicone

Well I think I will be sporting a new 2016 soon. Jumped on that thing it and was amazing.

But that wasn't the tipping point. Sat and had a nice conversation with the finance people. For the 2007 the loan would be 11%, new with the 3asy program was 9.75% plus the balloon. BUT he was like let me call this one bank, hour later, I get a call that I got approved for a straight loan at 2.99% if I buy the new one and put a little more down. 5 year loan, $350/month with service contract and extended warranty.

Cricky, the 07 $200/month for 5 years at 11%. Now I will have all my service covered, parts/labor warranty for 6 years and pay WAY less in interest. Plus no balloon!

rcklindave

I just traded my 2015RT for a 2016RT with all the options, and went with BMW financing, its just a loan there is no balloon payment at the end. the financing your referring to is the easy ride program just another name for a lease.

I don't really care since I always pay them off on a year or so

Dave

themagicone

The current loan offer is a straight loan from a credit union. 2.99%. VS 10% for the 3asy program with balloon

JustKrusen
Well I think I will be sporting a new 2016 soon. Jumped on that thing it and was amazing.

But that wasn't the tipping point. Sat and had a nice conversation with the finance people. For the 2007 the loan would be 11%, new with the 3asy program was 9.75% plus the balloon. BUT he was like let me call this one bank, hour later, I get a call that I got approved for a straight loan at 2.99% if I buy the new one and put a little more down. 5 year loan, $350/month with service contract and extended warranty.

Cricky, the 07 $200/month for 5 years at 11%. Now I will have all my service covered, parts/labor warranty for 6 years and pay WAY less in interest. Plus no balloon!

Sounds like you made up your mind. Lots of good advice give above. I LOVE my 2016 RT. I had a new '06 that I rode for 3 years and liked it a lot. But the new ones are a major step up. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, the '07 is a really nice bike also.

magic... now that we are pals I will call you that...

Be sure you are getting the equipment you want... my short answer is to get everything.

This means Hill Assist, Shift Assist, Nav 5 GPS, etc. If you like music you will need a way to get it into your ears. The speakers are good but that good at speed.... so you are going to need a headset for your helmet. The Sena line is good. The SMH-10 is not the newest but it works great... they are available online or at audio/parts dealers The SMH-20 is newer but still spendy. BMW has a special helmet with built-in Bluetooth. Very high!

Now... where the hell are you located?... hint- edit your user stuff for location....

Let the questions begin....

Engine bars, barracks, etc can be added after delivery and they are easy to do.

themagicone

Minnesota.

I got everything but the top bag, nav and central locking. It has the shit assist, keyless start and few other things. It has the premium package also.

Going to get a new CP3 Pro helmet with the bluetooth thingy.

First thing going on the bike after my wallet recovers is a backrest for both myself and passenger. Then engine guards + lights. After that might be a new seat.

I got everything but the top bag, nav and central locking. It has the shit assist, keyless start and few other things. It has the premium package also.

Did your medical insurance cover that?

Did your medical insurance cover that?

Built-in coffee brewer?

magic... everyone has their own list of "must haves", "highly desirables, and "OK but not Essential"... list.

For me... the Nav is an essential thing... such as is air in the tires... if you plan to travel, or ride beyond the neighborhood...

just my opinion.

themagicone

I looked at it but for $799 it is a bit of money. I'll probably end up getting it at one point. First up is the new helmet and com gear.

I looked at it but for $799 it is a bit of money. I'll probably end up getting it at one point. First up is the new helmet and com gear.

magic... everyone has their own list of "must haves", "highly desirables, and "OK but not Essential"... list.

For me... the Nav is an essential thing... such as is air in the tires... if you plan to travel, or ride beyond the neighborhood...

just my opinion.

I second the Nav V opinion, especially if you have a smart phone. The traffic and weather are really handy and pretty cool to boot. I even ponied up for the live traffic camera option and thats been helpful as well, although not as much as the traffic and weather.

Look around for a good used one and you can probably save a few hundred dollars.

Bill_Walker
The shit assist? Wow - these new bikes have everything.

Hell, according to hopz, you can get a whole barracks added on to the bike! That'd put any Winnebago to shame!

There is an old saying was and is still true.

"What you see depends on where you stand."

He asked valid questions and I gave my suggestions with caveats outlining where I stand. If he is a "touring" kind of rider he will value a GPS. If he is a boy racer... he would find it useless and not worth the money.

Same can be said for shift assist, or even the suspensions settings capability.

One size does not fit all... Bottom line advice is... a buyer of any thing needs to know what is wanted and what problem is trying to be solved.

So where are you coming from Bill? When you tour do you use a GPS?

themagicone

I've been looking at all the features the GPS has and its nice. Just wish I could find one for a discount from the $799 list. I asked the dealer for a discount and they couldn't even budge. He said they could give me 15-20% off the helmet but not the gps.

themagicone

I'll poke. Problem is that I would just walk from the deal but they are the only dealer in MN with a '16 R1200RT in San blue with the premium package. I could order one elsewhere but who knows how long that would take.

I'll poke. Problem is that I would just walk from the deal but they are the only dealer in MN with a '16 R1200RT in San blue with the premium package. I could order one elsewhere but who knows how long that would take.

Order a new one, and it would take a month or so. OTOH, if you get pushed into it, you should consider fly-buy-and-ride! Some non-local dealers will give you a great deal, and will even pick you up from the nearest airport, and you can ride your new bike home! :)

You may find it worth to consider ex-police R1200RT. They show up from time to time on a government property auction sites sometimes with low miles. As a rule, maintained by a dealer on a regular basis and no scheduled maintenance is deferred. You can get fantastic deal on one of those. Meanwhile, you can start putting aside money for retrofitting it to "civilian" version. You will still have great deal on your hands. This is how I got my first boxer BMW - 2004 R1150RTP, at a fraction of market value, rode for about 2 years and replaced it with 2009 R1200RT.

Archived