IGNORED

Local History

Whip

realshelby

Old mine sites fascinate me. Especially the history behind them. Stories are too often sad, I grew up where coal was about the only thing going. Worked many years in the industry ( surface mining ). The stories you hear from families that went through these disasters like this article links to are not always written down. And we are complaining about what we put up with today? Think about that!

I work near Red Lodge in an underground mine producing primarily palladium. My Grandfather worked underground coal mining in Montana up till the early '70s. It's definately a different industry today. If you want to take the sidetrip you turn off outside of Absarokee and take the road thru Fishtail and Nye. The road ends near Woodbine falls which is very scenic. Wish I could get visitors on the mine site but that is becoming increasingly difficult.

realshelby
Wish I could get visitors on the mine site but that is becoming increasingly difficult.

I still have my Hard Hat complete with all the required vendor and safety stickers? :grin:

Wayne, how close can we get to what is left of the old Smith Mine, we ride right past the ghost town/ ruins.

Whip, I'm not sure as I usually roll by, if time permits I'll stop and see on my next days off. I know Red Lodge has put a lot of work into their mining exhibits at the local museum including a lot of displays related to the fire at Bear Creek. My employer has contributed quite a bit.

I'm working Monday-Thursday the week of the unrally, but if anyone would like specifics of a route or destination prior I will do what I can on this end.

lawnchairboy

Pryor mountains. I will be riding over in this area and further east into bighorn canyon I hope.

"Local" history for the pryors is a relative term, this range is approx 50 miles east of red lodge.

Pryor Mountains

Archived