IGNORED

Engine revs to 5k+ upon starting

Runnor

Evening guys, I need some help on this.

I spent this afternoon removing all of the farkles I've put on my 2010 RT over the last few years because I am getting it ready to sell. I disconnected the batter completely, removed the plastic, and removed numerous farkles. Reconnected the battery this evening, turned the key to on, did the throttle reset procedure, then pushed the starter. The engine popped and finally started, then proceeded to rev up to 3,4 and 5k without any input to the throttle. I tried to close the throttle to stop the over revving, but it did not good, so I turned the key off. I th ink the revs would have continued to increase if I didn't intervene. I then repeated this same procedure two more times, and each time the engine went into the wild revving again.

I've look over the engine compartment for any unhooked hoses or wires that I may have accidentally disconnected, but found nothing obvious. I've never experienced anything like this before. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing this? The bike had not been started for several weeks before this event, but it ran fine the last time.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Hi,

I would suggest one of two things to check:

You may have dislodged the throttle cables where they enter the Bowden box on left hand side of the tank. Needs plastic off to check this. I did this removing some wiring a few years back the day before my bike was due back at the dealer. Just make sure the outers haven't move and sit correctly.

Second, check all the vacuume pipes and the vacuume plugs on either side of the bike. If you accidentally pulled a plug or line off that will increase revs.

Good luck

Mike

Morning John

To get 5K at idle you would almost need to have the L/H (or both) throttle plates open a bit (I don't think an air leak like vacuum hose or vacuum cap off would give you enough fuel to go with the air to give you 5k rpm's)

My guess from afar here is that you pulled the cruise control cable slightly apart (in front of the fuel tank running to right front)

The cruise control cable has an adjuster in it about mid cable with a boot over the adjuster. It is easy to pull on the cable when working up in that area & if the cable is pulled on just right the cable can pull slightly out of the adjuster & significantly increase the idle RPM.

So first thing-- find the cruise control cable (follow it back from the cruise control module)-- then locate the adjuster (under the rubber boot)-- then make darn sure the cable isn't pulled out of the adjuster a little.

Mike and DR,

Thanks very much for your advice. I looked at the cruise control cables, and found the left cylinder cable was pulled out of its "socket". I pushed it back in and started the engine and it idled perfectly. Thanks again. Really appreciate it guys!

John

Archived