IGNORED

Using Final Drive vent as a fill location

tpfeffer

Just curious, is there a reason you couldn't use the final drive vent to fill the drive on a 2013 R1200RT?

The vent appears to be a soft rubber plug of sorts that might be able to be pulled out and reused. The diameter of the fill hole looks small, ~6mm, so it might be a slow process to fill with the recommended 180 cc. However, I wouldn't think it would be any slower than removing the wheel to gain access to the fill hole and using a syringe to squirt in the fluid.

What am I missing?

Morning Tom

Maybe but it would probably take w-a-a-a-y longer than removing the tire & using the fill plug.

Remember there is no other vent so trying to get thick gear oil in through the vent would probably pressure-lock the small fill hole.

I suppose you could try it then let us know if it works in a reasonable time frame.

Personally I just change the final drive oil at rear tire change time so all is easy to access.

Dave_in_TX
Just curious, is there a reason you couldn't use the final drive vent to fill the drive on a 2013 R1200RT?

The vent appears to be a soft rubber plug of sorts that might be able to be pulled out and reused. The diameter of the fill hole looks small, ~6mm, so it might be a slow process to fill with the recommended 180 cc. However, I wouldn't think it would be any slower than removing the wheel to gain access to the fill hole and using a syringe to squirt in the fluid.

What am I missing?

I've tried it and DR is right. When using the vent to fill, you need to add very slowly or it will overflow the vent tube.

Oh well. I was looking for the what to me would be the obvious way to fill the FD; just like on oil heads, air heads, and so forth. It's hard to understand BMW's reasoning some times.

When %$&X^ happened on my Guzzi, a friend consoled me with, "It's a Guzzi." That might work for Italian iron but it doesn't cut mustard for teutonic steel.

Archived