IGNORED

Small tank bag

Knobby10

Looking to add a small day tank bag to my new RT. I don't want straps or magnets. Looking for experience and opinions as to quality options. SW Moto, Wunderlich or ???

TIA

Knobby

I recently added a Givi XS307 to my RT. This is a midsize bag that uses the Givi Tanklock system.

I compared it against the SW-Motech bags, which use a similar mounting system. It seemed to me that the Givi bags were equal in quality, somewhat less expensive, and a bit more versatile. This is the bag I got; they offer larger and smaller options:

14954877245_ca417f4a25_b.jpg

terryofperry

I went with the Givi Tanklock System also but opted for the smaller 4 liter bag, happy with it.

Terry

I like this concept but when I looked I did not see an RT application. Was this just an omission?

Must have been. They make a mount that fits the RT. Any of the bags will connect to the mount, though as you get into the larger sizes interference with the bars could be an issue. With the XS307, you can adjust the mounting point forward or backward to fit.

The mount for the RTW is the BF17.

RockBottom
I like this concept but when I looked I did not see an RT application. Was this just an omission?

Must have been. They make a mount that fits the RT. Any of the bags will connect to the mount, though as you get into the larger sizes interference with the bars could be an issue. With the XS307, you can adjust the mounting point forward or backward to fit.

That's strange -- I use the Givi system on my 2014 RT and my Revzilla account shows that I bought mounting ring BF 11. I wonder what the difference is?

That's strange -- I use the Givi system on my 2014 RT and my Revzilla account shows that I bought mounting ring BF 11. I wonder what the difference is?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that there was a change to the Givi design, but that may have been a hallucination. I'd say, if in doubt, call the vendor. The BF17 is definitely what I ordered (just checked my email receipt) and it fit my '14 RT.

Slyder_Steve

Do you have a photo of the daypack on the bike? Trying to judge relative sizes...

Thanks,

Steve

If you do a search under my board name you'll find pics of the Givi tank bag and mounting ring on my R1200RTW.

Do you have a photo of the daypack on the bike? Trying to judge relative sizes...

Thanks,

Steve

I'll take some pics and try and post...

Chal De Cecco

Hey Guys: Do you know if either the Givi or the S/W Motech tank bag and adaptors will fit the new 2016 RS ? The gas tank filler looks to be of the same construction as the rest of the new bikes.

I currently have a strap tank bag that slides around way too much on the RS tank and is a real pain during fuel stops. Local Beemer shop not much help unless you want to buy the BMW tank bag.........

RockBottom
Hey Guys: Do you know if either the Givi or the S/W Motech tank bag and adaptors will fit the new 2016 RS ? The gas tank filler looks to be of the same construction as the rest of the new bikes.

I currently have a strap tank bag that slides around way too much on the RS tank and is a real pain during fuel stops. Local Beemer shop not much help unless you want to buy the BMW tank bag.........

I'd be amazed if the fuel filler ring changed. This is my 20 litre Givi bag that I use for trips or day rides; I have a small one that I use for my daily commute to hold my garage door opener and my ID card to get through a security check point.

?taken-by=dr.steve.metz

Sam Rowland

I'd be amazed if the fuel filler ring changed. This is my 20 litre Givi bag that I use for trips or day rides; I have a small one that I use for my daily commute to hold my garage door opener and my ID card to get through a security check point.

?taken-by=dr.steve.metz

For the Givi the "locking ring" is a BF11 which is not exactly the same as the one for the RT (which is a BF17) at least for the Givi tank lock bags this will work with any of them.

I couldn't find a listing for the RS on SW Motech...

Here's a link to a video of a buddy mounting the SW-Motech Evo "tanklock" bag to a 2016 RTW

Helpful video. I looked at the SW-Motech options before deciding on the Givi XS 307. I'd note the following comparisons:

-The Givi bag is a little more straightforward to mount. Unlike the SW-M, the base plate is already mounted and has different holes pre-drilled to move the mount forward or backward.

-The tank ring mounting process is pretty much the same. The Givi bag is removed by pressing a red tab under the right side of the bag. I would say that they're pretty much identical in ease of use.

-The red interior of the SW-M bag is a nice touch. I have a Red Oxx carry-on bag that I use for travel and this is a nice way to increase visibility inside the bag. The Givi bag does not offer this, but does have a silver waterproof liner that's attached at the bottom of the bag. This would, in theory, offer a similar benefit to visibility, but I found it to be a pain in the neck and cut my liner out.

-Givi does not offer an electrified option like SW-M. I bought a tank bag electrification kit from Powerlet. I'd opine that it's as good a setup as the SW-M Evo line, but it does require a bit of time to install.

My comparison suggested to me that both options are pretty similar in quality and functionality. The SW-M's option of being electrified from the factory is nice, but I wasn't too put off by the notion of electrifying the Givi and ending up with a bag that gave me everything I wanted for a bit less cost. Both seem to be excellent options.

John Bentall
Here's a link to a video of a buddy mounting the SW-Motech Evo "tanklock" bag to a 2016 RTW

Helpful video. I looked at the SW-Motech options before deciding on the Givi XS 307. I'd note the following comparisons:

-The Givi bag is a little more straightforward to mount. Unlike the SW-M, the base plate is already mounted and has different holes pre-drilled to move the mount forward or backward.

-The tank ring mounting process is pretty much the same. The Givi bag is removed by pressing a red tab under the right side of the bag. I would say that they're pretty much identical in ease of use.

-The red interior of the SW-M bag is a nice touch. I have a Red Oxx carry-on bag that I use for travel and this is a nice way to increase visibility inside the bag. The Givi bag does not offer this, but does have a silver waterproof liner that's attached at the bottom of the bag. This would, in theory, offer a similar benefit to visibility, but I found it to be a pain in the neck and cut my liner out.

-Givi does not offer an electrified option like SW-M. I bought a tank bag electrification kit from Powerlet. I'd opine that it's as good a setup as the SW-M Evo line, but it does require a bit of time to install.

My comparison suggested to me that both options are pretty similar in quality and functionality. The SW-M's option of being electrified from the factory is nice, but I wasn't too put off by the notion of electrifying the Givi and ending up with a bag that gave me everything I wanted for a bit less cost. Both seem to be excellent options.

To which I would add that the SW-M bag has the option of a locking pin that prevents the release latch from bring operated, which - when combined with a lock through the zip - means that the bag can be secured to the bike for short periods without anyone walking off with it.

To which I would add that the SW-M bag has the option of a locking pin that prevents the release latch from bring operated, which - when combined with a lock through the zip - means that the bag can be secured to the bike for short periods without anyone walking off with it.

Yes, I was aware of that. Truthfully, it didn't enter into my personal decision; I have always pulled any valuables out of my tank bags or taken the whole thing with me. My guess is that a thief would probably just yank the whole thing off and worry about going through the contents a bit later. Is the SW-M mount beefy enough to withstand a serious attempt to tear it off the bike?

Archived