IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) 2016 - Sparta NC

TyTass

Hello everyone, I am going to have to miss this years FART. Had some things break and fall apart that is requiring the funds for the FART to be diverted. Since selling children is not legal in the US, this is my only option. I hope you all enjoy your time in the beautiful mountains. I will be with you mentally. Hopefully the START I can attend.

Stay safe everyone

Mike

Hello everyone, I am going to have to miss this years FART. Had some things break and fall apart that is requiring the funds for the FART to be diverted. Since selling children is not legal in the US, this is my only option. I hope you all enjoy your time in the beautiful mountains. I will be with you mentally. Hopefully the START I can attend.

Stay safe everyone

Mike

Sorry to hear, hope you can make START.

I'm out too, unfortunately. I sitting at the airport waiting for a flight home (I have a family issue to deal with on short notice).

I'm out too, unfortunately. I sitting at the airport waiting for a flight home (I have a family issue to deal with on short notice).

Wishing you the best Mark.

Terry

Wishing you the best Mark.

Terry

Agreed.

Stay safe everyone

Mike

That's too bad... I was really looking forward to riding out there together. I'm sill going to take the same route we mapped out. :Cool: Let me know if anything changes, though.

Well, I made it to Boone, NC.

So far I have not seen any shortage of fuel and the prices are pretty normal.

I rode a long time on the BRP and saw a black bear on the side of the road, north of Ashville. No pictures as I could not stop, he did look like he was hungry. I am sure some other tourist fed him.

See y'all on Wednesday or Thursday.

Edited by Bernie

Rode up to the Blue Ridge today and had some fuel availability issues. We were in the Marion/Little Switzerland area and had to go to 5 gas stations before any had fuel -- and that one had lines like the 1970s fuel shortages. If you are riding into the FART, and while there, definitely DO NOT wait until your reserve light comes on. You could spend the next hour finding gas.

Randy Shields

Rode up to the Blue Ridge today and had some fuel availability issues. We were in the Marion/Little Switzerland area and had to go to 5 gas stations before any had fuel -- and that one had lines like the 1970s fuel shortages. If you are riding into the FART, and while there, definitely DO NOT wait until your reserve light comes on. You could spend the next hour finding gas.

Randy Shields

Thanks for the information.

Well, we've lost several since the last list. Aside from those who have already posted that they are out, shown too can't make it. Bummer! Sorry to see so many have to cancel. But I'm still excited to see the everyone else and looking forward to riding the great roads around there.

i-826xtrk-XL.png

To all concerned about the gas shortage throughout the SE resulting from the Pipeline leak in Alabama:

I just received notice from the John, Manager of Alleghany Inn, that the Raceway gas station right across the street from the hotel just received a refill from a gas truck.

From searching verifiable media website I'v found that the Gov. of NC has enacted price-gouging order designed to punish station who raise their prices beyond certain margins and has also dramatically increased the limits of the amount of gas that can transported via truck (the limits a normally set to increase public safety). Therefore, gas suppliers are delivering gas well beyond their normal rates.

While none of this guarantees that all gas stations in the area will have gas exactly when you need it, it at least informs us that measures are being taken to keep gas stations supplied.

A word to the wise ... try get gas WAAAAAAY before you need it.

Edited by TyTass
Is anyone else seeing the irony of a discussion about "gas" at an event known as "FART?" I'm just say'n... :-D

What ARE you talkin' about? I don't get it. :S

Is anyone else seeing the irony of a discussion about "gas" at an event known as "FART?" I'm just say'n... :-D

Is your new GS not running on biofuel? You should have gotten the natural gas version. Lol

But seriously with a little foresight fuel supply is a none issue. Some stations have a 10 gallon limit.

What ARE you talkin' about? I don't get it. :S

Well, if you take the first letters of this riding event...oh, heck, I'll explain it Wednesday. LOL

Gasactually ran out in the town I am in, but all the stations are supposed to have more gas tomorrow. So with the GSA I will fill up Wednesday and when I leave Sunday, Hahaha NOT !

Yah now, see we just got back from Scotland earlier this evening and are jetlagged (and haggis-muddled) to beat the band. For once, I seem to have made a wise (I would say almost grown-up) decision based on what the frame and wiring is capable of, but I'll be very sorry to miss you good folks and wish everyone a fine, frisky, & plentiful gassy time. The real reason for my unsightly absence, though, is that I burned every last spec of annual leave (and a goodly chunk of the play-dough) rockin' around Scotland for the past 11 days. Gotta do the Highlands on a bike one day; maybe even with one or three of you, a few years from now. Meanwhile, be safe out there and have yourself a pleasant & rewarding FART.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Well, we've lost several since the last list. Aside from those who have already posted that they are out, shown too can't make it. Bummer! Sorry to see so many have to cancel.

The up side of all these cancellations is that it will leave more gas for the rest of you. :grin:

Well, we've lost several since the last list. Aside from those who have already posted that they are out, shown too can't make it. Bummer! Sorry to see so many have to cancel.

The up side of all these cancellations is that it will leave more gas for the rest of you. :grin:

Well, that it's certainly one way to look at it. Another is that's less "gas" we'll have to put up with each evening in the parking lot!

Edited by TyTass

OK, my name is Christo(pher), and my second bike was a red '95 1100RS, and I'm usually late confirming for these things. I wouldn't put it past some of the folks on this board to pull a prank like this, so...are you real? ;)

But seriously, you should definitely join us! You'll have no trouble finding riding buddies and you'll have a blast. Hope to see you there.

Your doppelganger,

Christopher

Well, that it's certainly one way to look at it. Another is that's less "gas" we'll have to put up with each evening in the parking lot!

I rarely have an issue with "less gas"...Craig. Don't tell anyone...especially my wife.

Hey gas was much more available today in town. The gas line has been repaired and is starting to pump. It will probably be another week and a half before full service is returned. That said I found all three grades of gas today

I only found regular gas in West Jefferson. I didn't look in Boone.

But it's sunny and slightly gravely.

Thank you for being "our man on the scene, with the most up-to-date reports."

Good news, I started a new job this week. Bad news, I will not be attending this event. Hopefully I will see everyone in the spring. Just for the record I did try to get my start date moved to Sept 26. But three months not working, and my wife felt missing this event was ok, for the extra weeks pay :-) she is such a practical women :-)

Sorry I had to book it out early. Had to be back home today for multiple events. Enjoyed meeting you guys. Would like to come to another event where I have more time to meet and chat about stuff.

Thanks to Craig for organizing this and to Keith for leading us on some great routes. Lots of roads I've never ridden before. I'll have to practice up on those twisties.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

20160923_094109%20Custom_zpsbx3s29vp.jpg

20160923_162440%20Custom_zpsdpkea9mw.jpg

After having a great time at FART, riding and meeting up with friends, I had to head home one day early.

I pulled out this morning, Saturday around 8 AM. I rode the BRP to Ashville and then decided to take the Interstate home as both tires where bald,and my front brake pads are below minimum thickness. Home at 7:30 PM, tired but safe.

I rode 2,580 miles this week, not as much as some of my Iron butt friends ride on there commute to work :/ , but a very satisfying riding week, after not riding much all Summer.

A big thank you too Ken and Craig for organizing the event, finding this gem of a motel and creating another great set of routes, with many new roads for me and many other attendees.

:clap::clap::clap: