IGNORED

Shock Opinions - Ohlins vs Wilbers vs HyperPro vs Touratech

Michael B

Michael B

I have a 2011 R1200 RT with ESA and 60,000 miles, mostly in the twisties. The rear shock feels like it is bottoming occasionally so I probably need new shocks.

Therefore, I request your considered opinions on shocks in the Title Line above. Which ones do you think are the best, or the best value, and some idea of why.

ESA: Do I really truly still need ESA compatible shocks, or are manual adjustment shocks perfectly acceptable? Can the ESA system be turned off without freaking out my GS911? Is it always required to send my OEM shocks to the seller and wait for the new ones?

Any ideas on price and the best place to buy them? Not really looking for low-end shocks but upper quality ones that will perform and last a good while.

Obviously I need some more education on shocks before I write the check, and after reading daily on this Forum, I know you guys will offer the best advice, so thanks in advance!

Did you see the ESA replacement shock thread below?

Also, Ted Porter at The Beemershop in California sells both Ohlins and Wilbers. He's a little more excited about the Wilbers. You might wanna give him a shout, he has a pretty good reputation and has a lot of experience on this subject.

Lastly, I just ordered a set of Wilbers from EpmPerf in New Jersey. I'm going to have them installed in a couple of weeks. You might wanna give them a call also and see what they think. I think they sell Hyperpro as well as Wilbers. Good luck...

Ohlins have a reputation for soft seals, which may need to be serviced more frequently. I have had both front and rear serviced:

Front: 84,878 miles, still fine at 121,000

Rear: major rebuild @ 79,680; 20,000 mile service @ 96,944, still fine at 121,000

You missed one. I'm on my second 1100RT and have used Works Performance shocks exclusively, with exceptional results. Over small road imperfections, the Ohlins I've ridden are a tiny bit cushier. Barely noticeable. But in the twisties, the Works shocks outhandle them every time, and that's not just my opinion. Those who've ridden my RT say the same thing. They're each hand built out of billet aluminum, personally valved for you, your bike, the weight you carry (passenger or not, heavy luggage or not), and they were the first to develop an ESA replacement shock. Additionally, they're probably still a few hundred dollars less than any of the others.

Once your shocks are worn, anything feels better. And any choice you make will make you happy. I'm even happier when I'm left with several hundreds left in my wallet.

Your call. You really can't go wrong. And the differences are miniscule. Just the price.

Archived