IGNORED

2011 RT Low Mileage Q's

Svaha!Dean

Svaha!Dean

Hi friends,

I currently ride a 2014 R1200R with 27,375 miles, all mine.

My coffee-klatch friend turned 80 years old this year and is giving up motosports. So, I get first dibs on his 2011 RT (with 3,400 miles total) which I demo'd this morning.

Q's: the bike ran fine, but is there anything to be concerned with on such a low-milage five year old bike? And, is there any concern with bike preservation during my ownership knowing she would sit in second place to my beloved R, and maybe taken out for long-distance tours three or four times a year until I really desire the faired experience full time?

Thanks for your input.

Guest Kakugo

Check if the handlebar switches work as intended (BMW had a lot of issues with those and are covered by an extended warranty) then ask your friend to contact his dealership to check if there are any pending recalls.

You may also want to change tyres as if it's still on OE they are probably junk by now and check when brake fluid was last changed: BMW recommends every 20,000km or every year, whichever comes first.

Given the low mileage, I wouldn't bother with anything else.

As Kakugo mentioned switch blocks were a problem, certainly they were on my 2012 RT - X2 LHS, X1 RHS.

I remember there was also a problem with the fuel strip which was corrected by BMW switching back to a float system some time in 2011 (I think).

Not a deal breaker I know but it was a PITA changing the low beam bulbs which blew every 6 months or so.

Ian

My 2013 RT had only 2700 miles on the clock. It ran perfectly. It did need oil so I added some. I made a point of adding miles and changed the oil at 6k. On a whim I took off the faring and looked at the air filter. It was almost totally plugged with sand. I put in a new air filter, new plugs and changed the gearbox oil. Peace of mind.

• 2 months later...
Marlen Padberg

3400 miles on a 5 year old bike? It largely sat...

Charge the battery, check (likely change) the tires, brake bleed would be a good idea eventually. Otherwise, ride the beans out of it.

Expect it to consume a bit of oil as its no where near run in yet... I passed 30,000 KMs and seems like my RT has just finally sealed up and stopped consuming oil. Sweet find!

Archived