IGNORED

ABS problem

brennaman

Well I guess it was bound to happen. I have been riding BMW's the past 8 years and about 180k miles trouble free. Then I bought my 1150RT, first brand new BMW, and 5 weeks out of waranty the ABS is malfuntioning. I am out of town and don't have any other transportation with me, so I can't leave the bike with the dealer to work on it. I was out riding and I lost my power assist on the breaks. (that was a little scary grabing the brakes and not having what I was expecting) I pulled over and turned the bike off, and when I restarted it, it cleared. I thought that it might be my battery, so I took it to the BMW dealer here in OKC and on the way the ABS light came on again, but I still had my power assisted breaks, in fact everything seemed to be OK other than the ABS lights were on. When I took it to the shop and they hooked it up, they found no errors, but you could hear the power break module was humming as if I were engaging the breaks, but the breaks were not on. The mech. there said I might be able to get a loaner bike from them while they looked at it a little deaper, I will call them tommorow to see if that is possible. Hope to find out something in the morn. I guess my luck had to run out sometime. frown.gif

russell_bynum

With the bike so close to the end of it's warranty period, it is possible that BMW will cover it anyway. I think it mostly depends on your relationship with your dealer since I believe they have to go to bat for you with BMWNA.

Good luck!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If you can hear the servos running when the brakes are not on (and it is not hooked up to the BMW machine), then you probably have a switch out of whack. Check to see if your brake lever and pedal are returning all the way, and that they depress the switch that tells the servos you're on the brakes.

Firefight911

I'm with boney on this one. There are switches that can be adjusted to control when the servo actuates on the assisted brakes. Check the levers and these controls first. Clean any contacts, etc. that could cause a problem and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

Archived