IGNORED

Data base fodder; windshield height

Mulepick

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I just took my first freeway ride with a Cee Bailey's Design 3 "monster" windshield on my '99 1100RT. It's advertised to be 6" taller and 4" wider than OEM.

It's perfect for me. After mounting it and sitting on the bike on the centerstand, it seemed too high. When riding, the natural "nose down" configuration of the bike lowers it some (270lb rider with rear shock on the red dot). At its lowest position, I have about 2.5" of clearance below my eye level. I find that bringing the shield up to about 2" below makes for the best ride, air just making it over the helmet. It's solid as a rock in clean air and flutters only slightly behind people. Despite the width, I still get some flutter on my forearms; not used to this after riding behind a Vetter for years. I'll either get used to it or perhaps attach a couple of small tabs to the side for the long rides.

When fully extended, it is about 1.5" above eye level. Won't use this much but it's nice to have when travelling behind gravel trucks.

Bob

P.S. Now I have a smaller Cee Bailey's that came with the bike. Anyone have a good "comfort" seat to trade?

Archived