IGNORED

Stebel Horn on a wethead

Ride200mi

So I've done a search to no avail..... Has anyone installed one on their wethead? There seems to be enough room to mount it where the standard horn sits. What say you....

I had two of them (!!) mounted on my Oilhead ( http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150rthorn.htm ) and one mounted on my Hexhead.

The Wethead has MUCH less room to play with, and truth be told, MCN's horn test revealed several louder choices, for less money, with none of the reliability woes of an air horn. I would up mounting a pair of FIAMMS from Amazon - $20 for the pair - in a location where they are easily accessible and very, very effective. Plus my stock horn remains, so I actually have 3 distinct tones simultaneously. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same exact thing.

If you go on the BMW R1200RT Owners FB page, you will see we just had a discussion about this very issue, and I posted a short video to show what I did on my Wethead.

-MKL

Yes. Installed one on my '15 in the same location as the stocker. Fabbed a mount out of an L bracket.. It comes close to the left fork at full lock of the bars to the left, but does not touch. It has been helpful a few times and absolutely gets heard by the car you trigger it for.

I installed a Wolo (identical to Stebel) up under the steering head using a mount I fabricated from a stainless steel L brace. The spot is out of the weather but where sound can escape.

I connected it to the horn relay output of a Clearwater CANopener (via a horn relay) so it uses the stock horn switch. Nice advantage of this set up is there is zero delay from pushing the horn button to hearing the horn, unlike the slight delay on a stock RT.

I installed the Stebel Nautilus horn. It came with brackets and wiring. I had to "twist" and adjust the horn a little bit, just to make sure it didn't hit anything at full lock of steering. But that's it.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT-LC/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Nautilus-Wolo-Horn.html

I too installed the same. It was easy, the wire kit made for plug n play. The kit isn't cheap... I can't believe the stock horn, my 02RT came stock with great horn.

Jay

Thanks everyone for the info. I looked for some pics on how to mount but the ones you all posted are much better. Now to get it in and riding!!!!

Done installing the Stebel horn. Although I was unable to mount two of them, I feel the one will be plenty. Did a sound check with my wife in her car driving around the block. She said she could here it and then some. She mentioned that unlike a car or motorbike horn, this will make you look because it has such a unique sound.

Archived