IGNORED

Shocks - Alternatives for '04 RT w/ 40k miles

kudzu

The shocks on my '04 RT are beyond shot. Will probably ride it for another year or two at most.

Though Öhlins seem to be the gold-standard, are they justified for a bike with 40k miles on it and a relatively short expected life? OTOH, is there enough difference in the cost to settle for anything else?

Thoughts?

The bile is about 200K from end of life - the question is do you want two years of great handling?

All of the aftermarket shocks are better than the OEM, some better than others and I have never seen anyone with buyers remorse from any of the available brands.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Paul Mihalka

Your plan of keeping the bike for one or two years makes it a tough call. You have 40K on a '04, you ride quite a bit. You will probably ride another 40 in the next two years. I would put a set of Ohlins or Wilbers on it, they will need service after your next 40K anyways. If you would have said that you won't keep the bike for more than six month, I would suggest to find a set of close to new used shocks from somebody who wanted the upgrades right away.

I had the same problem with the rear Showa shock on a 70,000 mile 1996 R1100RT that I was expecting to sell within a year.

I found someone to rebuild it. I know it isn't supposed to be rebuildable, but it can be done. The rebuild involves welding/brazing on a valve to recharge it. This can pose clearance problems so the repairer has to position the valve carefully.

Contact LE-SUSPENSION.COM or call them at 408.371.6151. Yes they can a do rebuilds on the Showa Shocks. I had them rebuild my rear shock by re-valving and adding a stronger spring and am very satisfied. And all this for half the cost of other alternatives.

The shocks on my '04 RT are beyond shot. Will probably ride it for another year or two at most.

Get a pair of Öhlins and you'll instantly have a new and much better bike that you'll likely keep a lot longer than you expected to. thumbsup.gif

pipenslippers

Ohlins will completely transform the bike, and if you change to another bike the Ohlins can usually be modified to suit (or sold on ebay) My RS has 40K on it and is just running in

I put on Hagons from Dave Quinn motorcycles. They were about $980 total, built for my weight and I really like them. For me it was about not spending Ohlins money on a bike I spent $5500 on. YMMV

Heck.....My RT has 63,000miles on it and I just recvd my new Ohlins! I have no problem even if I only get another summer! I know I'll get way more than that, but that new 1200RT is getting mighty tempting. thumbsup.gif

If the decision is purely an economic one, here in Australia the cost of an OEM and an Ohlins rear shock is about $900 and $1325. The standard shock will do fine for 12 months but if you fit performance shocks front and rear, you may want to keep the bike.

Thanks everybody! When the consensus of such an astute group as this seems to be that I should pop for the Öhlins, what choice do I have?! grin.gif

Rider1200RT
Thanks everybody! When the consensus of such an astute group as this seems to be that I should pop for the Öhlins, what choice do I have?! grin.gif

None what so ever! teeth.gifteeth.gifthumbsup.gif

You'll be happy with the upgrade. I just got a set of Wilbers for my GS and it totally changed the bike!

Much better handling and response. No more pogo-stick feeling eek.gif on acceleration and braking either. grin.gif

Wilbers is an excellent product. I'm still running the factory shock on the RT but a Wilbers unit absolutely transformed my Guzzi. Not as expensive as Ohlins either.

Archived