IGNORED

Tank Bag

Stbell

I have a Touratech low profile tank bag on my RT. While I like the quality of the bag, I am needing something with more capacity. Touratech offers an expandable model for almost $400. I was curious as to what others were using. 400$ seems steep for a tank bag.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I'm about to test that expanded capacity Touratech bag over the next few months, once they send it to me. The OEM / BMW tank bag is tiny.

-MKL

I just got a Givi XS307 for my RT. Just a bit over $150, plus about $15 for the mounting ring that attaches around your fuel filler.

I had a Big Mak bag for years and this offers some similar benefits--no marring of the tank and easy removability for fillups. The one I got is 15 liters, but they make larger and smaller version of the Tanklock bags. My initial impression is that the build quality is very good.

349983_orig.jpg

Thanks Mike, not knowing much about Givi, is the removal and placement at fuel stops done easily?

Yes, there's a tab that you depress on the right side (under the bag). Just takes a second. I wasn't familiar with their tank bags either, but the options out there seemed pretty darned expensive. And, this approach also saves the finish of your tank.

I also ordered a Powerlet tank bag electrification kit and installed that. Pretty slick.

Time will tell if the bag holds up, but I can't see any reason why it won't.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using GIVI on my 1200GS and i like the quick attached/detached system they use. No straps and buckles. I've had other bags in the past but this one works well.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, how is the Givi 307 working? Thinking about that or a 306 for my '16 RT. Bought a Wolfman Blackhawk and although it is a nice bag and well constructed, it is a bit small. I would like to carry my full-frame camera in it as well as water bottles and rain gloves, and so on. I had a BMW tank bag on my '11 RT and it was the perfect size. Do know if your 307 is comparable as regards size?

Larry

RockBottom
Mike, how is the Givi 307 working? Thinking about that or a 306 for my '16 RT. Bought a Wolfman Blackhawk and although it is a nice bag and well constructed, it is a bit small. I would like to carry my full-frame camera in it as well as water bottles and rain gloves, and so on. I had a BMW tank bag on my '11 RT and it was the perfect size. Do know if your 307 is comparable as regards size?

Larry

The 307 doesn't fit well on an RT--it sort of hangs there with a gap. I bought one and am selling it. The 308 fits great.

Larry

Note that I only have a out 1,000 miles or so experience with it, but I'm completely satisfied. It works well and the quality seems excellent. Sorry, but I don't know how,the size compares. The Givi has ample space for my needs, though, and I have yet to use the zippered expansion feature.

realshelby

I'll have a Givi 3D 604 here and mounted hopefully on Thursday. Had to wait on the tank ring from a place in Germany. I will post some pics when that happens.

I don't like a tank bag that the bars interfere with too much when turned to lock. The 604 is more narrow and does not have the exterior side pockets that I never use anyway. Been wanting a ring mount bag for a while, the Givi is the first ones I didn't need another mortgage to buy!

moshe_levy

Stay tuned in MCN for my upcoming test of Touratech's new Wethead bag. All I can say is, it's much better than BMW's, in every way imaginable.

-MKL

Well, I sprung for the 306 tank lock bag and I got it from an outfit in Italy, www.motostorm.it/en. With shipping, which is somewhat expensive and slow, it was $50 less than Revzilla, who did not have the BF17 plate in stock. (I previously bought a GIVI mounting plate from them for the Wethead RT to use my old GIVI top case.) When I get it and install it and use the 306 I will report back. Hope it is not so big to interfere with turning.

Moshe,

Thanks for the heads up, look forward as usual to your write up in MCN. Nice to see a real Map case! If you can please let us know how "water resistant" it is, rain bonnets seem to balloon up so I avoid them if I can.

Jay

Sam Rowland
When I get it and install it and use the 306 I will report back. Hope it is not so big to interfere with turning.

The Givi bag has forward/backward adjustment, you simply mount the bag and can slide it back and forth till you get it where you want it then tighten the screws...the instructions will tell you all about it...

After seeing what my Touratech did to the paint I guess I am looking for a tank bag that does not rest on the painted surface. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

moshe_levy
Moshe,

Thanks for the heads up, look forward as usual to your write up in MCN. Nice to see a real Map case! If you can please let us know how "water resistant" it is, rain bonnets seem to balloon up so I avoid them if I can.

Jay

Jay, for my test I rode through quite a bit of rain. Touratech bills the bag water RESISTANT and sells a "cover" for it for $27 or so that makes it water PROOF. To be honest, I never noted even a drop got inside. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it seems excellent in that regard. The BMW tank bag certainly leaks more than the Touratech.

-MKL

Thank you Moshe that's good news! My BMW tank bag hasn't leaked, I've given it many good tests too many times but the map case leaks like a sieve add in the size, it's useless.

I look forward to your review in MCM but may not wait to buy one

Jay

realshelby

I finally went with a fuel ring tank mount bag. The Givi bags are not cheap, but a LOT less than some other stuff on the market. I want a bag that has a clear window on top for route sheets, and room inside for wallet, phone, tablet, reader, glasses and note pad. It is easy to get a big bag....and put too much in it! Hard to find what you need! I bought the Givi 3D604. It has a zippered top, removable clear window on top, clear phone window in the main top, and a zippered top half to help separate stuff. It is bigger than I expected. I had to move my power outlet, but with that done the bars can turn to lock in either direction. They barely contact the bag at full lock. Which was a concern with some of the other bags I was looking at. This is a nice size to carry in with me for meals, stops at rest areas, etc. Not so oddly shaped on the bottom like my other tank bag so it will sit on a table nicely.

DSC01926_zpsbiw7md7x.jpg

DSC01927_zpsoleuwhkj.jpg

DSC01928_zpsvkiuci8w.jpg

DSC01929_zpsutba7ng7.jpg

DSC01930_zpssa3yzbaf.jpg

realshelby

I had looked at the 306 and 308. Wanted something more narrow so the bars didn't hit them as much or at all. The exterior pockets make the bag a lot wider if you put stuff in them. I didn't use them on the other bags and didn't want them on the new one. The 308 allows you to remove the exterior bags completely, but it is a rather large bag.

Terry, the stock fasteners that come with the Givi ring will in time exhibit corrosion at the threaded end, you might want to source some stainless units. I found this out during plastic removal for the air filter change.

I got my GIVI 306 tank bag from MotoStorm, all arriving in good condition. Attached the mounting ring to the gas filler cover in just a few minutes. Clips on very easy, seems to be self-guiding into its dock and snaps positively in place. In the same way it comes off.

It is a large tank bag, about the size of the BMW tank bag I had on my '11 RT. And it holds quite a bit of stuff as one can see in the attached pictures. Being a big tank bag I was interested in how or if it interfered with the handlebars. Riding straight ahead shouldn't be any problem- there is room to see above the bag at the instruments. Turning the bars to full-lock the bars hit the side of the bag and restrict turning to what extent I haven't tested yet. Turning bars to full lock is a parking maneuver, usually. Bag seems to be well built, but hard use will need to be applied to establish this. It comes with a secondary retention strap and I haven't figured out what to do with it. Also comes with a rain cover, but has a waterproof liner that can be bunched up and closed over the contents of the bag to provide some protection aside from installing the cover.

IMG_0480_zpsg39zysea.jpg

IMG_0479_zpssqdhr6qy.jpg

IMG_0417_zpsi1frl6eb.jpg

IMG_0416_zpsji0ukvhy.jpg

IMG_0415_zps9e6glxtt.jpg

IMG_0414_zpsjc7hs0h1.jpg

Archived