IGNORED

Exhaust Flap Error

Onegrecook

I did a diagnostic check with the GS911 today and got an error that says "Exhaust flap servomotor, adjustment error". The bike is a 2015 R1200RT with 17,000 miles on it. It is still under warrantee so I'll have the dealer take a look. Am I ok to continue riding it until I can get it to the dealer, or is it something I don't need to worry about? I've read of some that remove them, but I'm hesitant to do that while it's under warrantee.

Thoughts?

Morning Onegrecook

It might be as simple as you stalled the engine with the exhaust flap servo in motion. Or you might have an actual issue with it.

You might just clear the stored failure code then ride the bike for a while & see if that failure code returns.

If it does then you have an issue, if it doesn't return then it was probably an anomaly.

I have had a GS 911 hooked to my bike and it showed no codes. But, I sometimes wonder if my exhaust flap is working. My bike is a bit louder than I might like when droning down the freeway. Taking the muffler off ( tire changes ) the flap is open, starting engine and it stays open. Revving the throttle...and it is still open. Not stuck in place. Maybe this is normal. Maybe no way to really know if it moves to restrict flow a bit under cruise?

duckbubbles

On my '11 RT the flap was normally wide open when I could see it. At a tire change I noticed that it was stuck at 45 deg. It would move to close but not open any further- I installed the eliminator, removed the actuator and that was that (at the end of the warranty). I could not tell any difference pre or post eliminator.

Frank

Thanks all,

I decided to take the servomotor off and see of there was something blocking it from moving. It was clear. However, when I put it all back together it started working. I can actuate it with the GS911 and it wouldn't do anything when I first noticed the code and tested it. After removing it and putting it all back, it moved when I actuated it. I cleared the fault code (wouldn't let me clear it before as it said the fault was still present)and retested it and it disappeared. Took it for a ride and tested it again. Whatever I did seems to have corrected the issue. I'll test it again in a few days. I wonder if pulling the electrical connector reset the servo somehow? Regardless...it seems fine now.

Thanks

Archived