IGNORED

Red Lodge Riding

Whip

The Buckhorn Run

Chris (Lawnchairboy) and I did most of this, but we may have missed the best part.

The ride across the Buckhorns was a lot of fun but we took the 14ALT northern route in and turned at 14 to take the southern route back to base. It looks like we turned before the best part. Dayton is about three hours from Red Lodge and would be a good lunch stop. Chris also found a well maintained dirt route for part of the trip but I will have to let him tell you about it.

14-14A-L.jpg

The Beartooth/Chief Joseph Run

The morning temps could be on the cool side if you start up Beartooth too early so may you wanna go clockwise. You can stop for lunch in Cook a few miles west of the Chief Joseph (296) Beartooth 212 intersection.

Stunning views, technical riding, and a lot of FUN!

Bear%20Chief%20Run-L.jpg

The Yellowstone Cody Run

Over the Beartooth through the eastern road in Yellowstone out to Cody and back to Red Lodge. This is where the buffalo roam.

The ride from Yellowstone to Cody is also spectacular with plenty to see and do when ya get to Cody.

Yellowstone%20Cody%20Run-L.jpg

lawnchairboy

Rolling hills, it's all pretty. We stayed out 78 a few miles west of red lodge I believe. The wild card on 78 around the red lodge area is that their is/was a road construction project immediately where 78 hits red lodge and for a few miles to the west. Had some alternating single lane closures with pilot vehicles, a ton of dust. There are some gravel road work around s.

What does 'technical riding' mean. Do I need to worry ?

That means that while you are enjoying the scenery others on BMW's will be passing you with sparks coming off the pegs and other parts......... :grin:

There are some really good sections of road with tighter turns and sweepers that can allow use of "technical" riding skills. But not to worry, they are not required to enjoy the rides.

I was told last year when in Red Lodge that 78 heading west out of town was sort of scenic. Anyone been that route?

Although I haven't been on it in over 5 years, MT78 was a very nice ride through rolling farmland and the Beartooth foothills to Columbus. No highly technical stuff, but also not many straight sections either. It was rebuilt around 2007-2010 from Absarokee to Columbus (wider, safer). Very low traffic volumes on weekdays. I haven't taken the spur (419) to Nye, but have always been curious.

As Chris mentioned, Montana road construction site shows continuing reconstruction of 78 from 0.5 to 5 miles out of Red Lodge:

Current Montana Road Conditions

A nice little loop (only 100 miles) would be Red Lodge -> 78 -> Columbus -> 421 -> Joliet -> Red Lodge

Will probably come in that way, so I can update you then.

Mike Cassidy

I have seen your pictures of the passes in Europe you have ridden, believe me you won't have any trouble at all.

L

Francois_Dumas

I have seen your pictures of the passes in Europe you have ridden, believe me you won't have any trouble at all.

L

Goody ! After the Italian pothole roads, the US flat surfaces may take a bit if getting used to :-)

I was told last year when in Red Lodge that 78 heading west out of town was sort of scenic. Anyone been that route?

Although I haven't been on it in over 5 years, MT78 was a very nice ride through rolling farmland and the Beartooth foothills to Columbus. No highly technical stuff, but also not many straight sections either. It was rebuilt around 2007-2010 from Absarokee to Columbus (wider, safer). Very low traffic volumes on weekdays. I haven't taken the spur (419) to Nye, but have always been curious.

As Chris mentioned, Montana road construction site shows continuing reconstruction of 78 from 0.5 to 5 miles out of Red Lodge:

Current Montana Road Conditions

A nice little loop (only 100 miles) would be Red Lodge -> 78 -> Columbus -> 421 -> Joliet -> Red Lodge

Will probably come in that way, so I can update you then.

Mike Cassidy

Geri and I were over 78 two years ago coming up out of Cody, and there was a little construction going on just west of Red Lodge but wasn't tore up too bad or too far, maybe a mile or so. Not like it was when we were through there the year before! What a mess it was then!

Don! You were here all the time !! I didn't know !! :grin::dopeslap:

No, Francois, I just dropped in to check the planned rides around the Red Lodge area to see how 'technical' they were, and whether us old Harley riders could hang...

Can't find my appropriate Butler maps anywhere! Dang! :rofl::P

Francois_Dumas

If we can (old and far from home), I am sure you can too :-) We're leisurely riders, not MotoGP racers ! :grin:

If we can (old and far from home), I am sure you can too :-) We're leisurely riders, not MotoGP racers ! :grin:

Hmmmmmm......The Orange bike could change that.

Francois_Dumas

I am too old to be lured into risky things.... Besides, I have a little alien beating me on my helmet all the time.... :rofl:

Goody ! After the Italian pothole roads, the US flat surfaces may take a bit if getting used to :-)

François, If you want challenging road surfaces, go to Alaska. Looking forward to meeting you after seeing your name all these years.

Francois_Dumas

It will be great meeting so many of you in the flesh ! As for potholes.... not looking for them, but having to avoid them nonetheless..... I think I will like smooth riding for a change :-)

• 2 weeks later...
hANNAbONE

Hmmmmmm......The Orange bike could change that.

uH-oH...

so i must be the blind, dumb, deaf kid... have the routes been posted as garmin files? i tried clicking all the obvious but nothing seems to open to a downloadable file....

so i must be the blind, dumb, deaf kid... have the routes been posted as garmin files? i tried clicking all the obvious but nothing seems to open to a downloadable file....

Nope, but you are welcome to check out the maps I posted and make the files then post them here for everyone.

:wave:

I took the liberty of shooting the Red Lodge Un Rally riding ares from my Butler maps. Gives an idea of the ratings Butler Maps makes of this great riding area...

20160512_155735_zpsy5flvhsg.jpg

20160512_155932_zpsdjlqgjl3.jpg

20160512_154744_zpsoz7hqq18.jpg

20160512_154805_zps9gmbqs6h.jpg

This is the boring area between the scary parts...

20160512_154732_zpsv42iodpd.jpg

20160512_154708_zpswcq4aymz.jpg

i split the route from Red Lodge to Dayton in two, the north route is route1, the south route is route2 but it seems i can't post them as they exceed the limit.

so since i don't have a file server were i can post them.

any suggestions?

i split the route from Red Lodge to Dayton in two, the north route is route1, the south route is route2 but it seems i can't post them as they exceed the limit.

so since i don't have a file server were i can post them.

any suggestions?

Anyone I know who has routes to share saves them to Dropbox (obviously to a folder that's available to all). They then post a link to that Dropbox folder.

I took the liberty of shooting the Red Lodge Un Rally riding ares from my Butler maps. Gives an idea of the ratings Butler Maps makes of this great riding area...

Blatant copyright violation!

Route 1 Red Lodge to Dayton via Cowley/ Lovell

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1T1R7FLSvrNNzB1NS1kTEVtZDg

route 2 Dayton to Red Lodge via greybull/powell

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1T1R7FLSvrNZl9GSnNBY0cyWTA

when you click on the file it will look like computer goobly-goo, just download it (down arrrow at top of page)to your computer and then follow your specific gps procedure to install the map and then format/reload it. in some cases the device or program might make some changes, so best to check it

• 2 weeks later...

I would add Bighorn canyon for road riders and Burnt Timber road in the Pryor mountains if anyone has time/desire.

Burnt timber is for off road guys.

lawnchairboy

plan on a bunch of quality mapping time over the next couple of weeks, gonna try and put together a mixed street/easy dirt route over to the bighorns, including the eastern fun part of 14 down into Dayton and back. will be a big, long, and hopefully good day if it works out. I'll have to see how the times work out because it was a big day on all asphalt last summer.... I'll throw it up here when it is done, I hope in .GPX

Blatant copyright violation!

Damn betcha!!

Archived