IGNORED

Cam Chain Tensioner Cover Torque

kltk165

Hi folks. I think this is somewhat of a common issue. Not long after taking delivery my new 2011 R1200RT I had an issue with the cam chain tensioner cover needing to be re-torqued as I was getting an oil drip. It hasn't reoccurred until now. I put my bike in my truck to take to the dealer and noticed 1 drip (About the size of a dime) on the left side truck bed floor and and on the right side was a considerable amount (I would saw two quarters side by side worth). According to the technician the leak was a result of the cam chain tensioner covers needing to be re-torqued again. I'm wondering if this is something I should request at each major service just to play it safe or is it possible this is a more common problem and the person servicing the bike before was always doing it as part of the maintenance as a courtesy? Yes, I have changed servicing dealers. This dealer performed the 36,000 mile service. Prior to that service another dealer performed all services.

PS: I tried searching in hopes of finding this topic but couldn't locate one. If this has already been discussed can someone please point me to the discussion? Thanks....

Morning kltk165

You have something else going on there (or they are feeding you a line of BS).

As long that the parts aren't damaged then one correct re-torque should be enough to stop the leakage forever.

Were they actually properly re-torqued to begin with or was it just lip service?

Are you sure the leak isn't coming from somewhere else & the service tec wasn't taking the quick way out by telling you something, even if it's wrong.

Thanks DR. Can't say for sure. The first time it happened was very early on. I wanna say within 1500 miles. Now at 36k they required a re-torque. I'll be getting the bike back tomorrow and will take a good look at it as well as a good test ride to see if the problem persists. I'll certainly leave open the possibility the Tech took the quick way out. It has my attention though and I'll be watching...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's the update. Got the bike back from the dealer on Thursday. They washed it after the service and paid particular attention to clean up any residual oil that could have been hanging around. Rode it home about 35 miles. No oil on the ground the next morning. However, a wiff of hot oil when I got home and parked the bike. Like something is weeping. Very short ride Saturday morning, maybe 15 miles. No drips, again a wiff every now and then at a stop light or when getting off the bike. 500+ miles Sunday. The occasional wiff, although much less, throughout the day at stops and when parking. No oil drips at any stop. No drips on the ground today after yesterdays ride.

Got on the ground and looked around as best I could and don't see anything overtly noticeable. Gonna keep watching it to see happens. Thanks DR. Your advice is always VERY welcome.

Archived