IGNORED

First Major Off

ArmyGuy

They say not if but when. Well it happened yesterday morning during my ride back to MD from March Moto Madness in TN.

I was traveling Northbound on highway 58 (Jeb Stuart Highway) near Damascus, Virginia on my 2014 BMW R1200GS motorcycle. I was driving the posted speed limit for the turn (approximately 25-30 miles per hour) and as I was negotiating a right hand turn, my motorcycle lost traction on some gravel and sand that was spread out on the road. I subsequently low-sided followed by a high-side (crash). I was thrown from my motorcycle and slid on the pavement right behind my motorcycle what seemed like 30-40 feet before coming to a rest on the side of the road. I was wearing full PPE (motorcycle pants, jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots.)

After mentally checking my body for injury, I picked up my motorcycle and took a few minutes to assess my situation. My windscreen broke off the mounts and my handle bar was bent. I had no cell service so after assessing the drivability of my motorcycle, decided to slowly drive to the nearest town with cellular service (approx. 5.5 miles). I called the state police and attempted to make a report but the police officer did not file a report noting he did not think over $1500 in damages occurred to my motorcycle. He did give me his business card in case the insurance company needs to contact him. I then called my insurance company and stared the claims process. I will take my motorcycle to Bob's BMW today to be ready for the insurance agent to start the assessment for repair.

I suffered no injuries other than a sprained thumb and drove my motorcycle over 400 miles home from the site of the accident.

25986592100_e27b68ed77_b.jpg

26193188361_82f79411df_b.jpg

Right Shoulder Area and middle back

26233516946_1c792fb345_b.jpg

Helmet

26193186451_d3434105b2_b.jpg

26193388491_3a12ab66e5_b.jpg

26167193722_7915111179_b.jpg

25656951613_08650d5db4_b.jpg

szurszewski

Glad you were wearing gear - looks like it did it's job. Lots of gravel out there this road repair season here in the PNW too - sometimes I think they try to hide it in the corners...

josh

Glad you made it through this relatively ok! :thumbsup: Looking at the first road pic, it appears that on coming traffic would have really s _ _ _ _ _! :eek:

Pat

Pat, if a car had been coming, I'd be toast. My wife sure gave me an earful when I got home. I'll be riding as soon as the bike is fixed.

Mike,

Glad you have been able to post a report about this unfortunate incident - there but for the grace of god go us all.

Here's hoping you and the bike get mended soon.

Steve

Thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out what I could have done better to negotiate that curve or see that gravel sooner.

Other than slowing down to a relative crawl and riding like I was on a dirt/gravel road, I'm not sure what I could have done differently.

Thanks guys. I've been trying to figure out what I could have done better to negotiate that curve or see that gravel sooner.

Other than slowing down to a relative crawl and riding like I was on a dirt/gravel road, I'm not sure what I could have done differently.

Mike,

I guess you could say that was definitely a learning curve. I can recall going over the other side of the road on the crest of a hill once on the bike I had at the time - an 1150GS - I wasn't speeding (road was wet), knew the road like the back of my hand, but swerved to avoid a pheasant that ran out onto the road - I missed the pheasant, but if something had been coming the other way I'd have been toast.

We all do everything we can to ride safely, but sometimes these things just happen - we can only store the experience in the memory bank and hope that we don't get in the same scenario again.

Steve

Mike - Sorry about your off, so glad it wasn't worse. I've been seeing a lot of sand and gravel out there, with plenty of potential for unintended consequences. Thanks for posting good reminder for us all about Spring riding road conditions.

Glad you were minding your speed, had on your gear and weren't injured.

Glad you're ok. The Damascus area is an awesome area to ride in. Had I known, I may have joined you on the venture.

Mike,

Glad you're ok. Had the same thing happen a few years back in Kentucky but it totaled my RT.

I work in investigations at the Combat Readiness Center (safety center) and if you're up for it we would love a short story and photos for Knowledge magazine. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Mike

Glad you're ok.

Let us know when they do a thorough examination for the estimate.

Be sure they look everywhere .

It is surprising to see damage in areas that aren't apparent or opposite from point of impacts.

Hope your bike is a lucky one.

Thanks again everyone for the well wishes. The following link pretty much describes my emotions as this plays out (I am at stage 4). The cursing is bleeped out but I probably wouldn't watch it around young ones.

Gunny: The roads looked really fun down there. I'll be on 'em later this summer/fall and definitely next year for MMM again.

Tim: The assessor looked at it and 'guestimated' $2-3k damage but the folks at Bob's BMW haven't had time to look it over yet. The final verdict should be in by this Friday.

Gunny: The roads looked really fun down there. I'll be on 'em later this summer/fall and definitely next year for MMM again.

Just keep me in mind the next time you roll this way. I don't have any problem telling work I'm out for the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you're ok. I'm with Ids_Ok... Bet there is at least $1500 worth of damage. Just having the plastics repainted will run close to $800.

Good luck with the insurance dance... hope you're back on the road again soon!

Thanks, Shannon. Still waiting for insurance to get back with me with a check. BMW shop says $4300 in damages but they forgot to add in the damage to the left pannier. Insurance will also kick in new riding gear/helmet not figured in to that price. Hopefully, the bike will be done before mid-late May.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my scoot from Bob's BMW today. It only took them 3 days from the time I said 'GO!' until time of completion...including the 18k mile service. Also picked up a new riding suit.

Old suit on the left. New one on the right.

26130700604_4a3a4f6f3b_c.jpg

Mike,

I missed this thread until now. Man, I'm so glad everything came out ok in the end ... especially that part of you being ok.

I hope to get together some time and ride.

Cheers!

Archived