IGNORED

Battery

Frank B

The stock battery on my 2013 R1200RT is starting to crank slow. What do folks recommend for a replacement. 'Seems like the Shorei gets high ratings.

The stock battery on my 2013 R1200RT is starting to crank slow. What do folks recommend for a replacement. 'Seems like the Shorei gets high ratings.

Morning Frank

Not up north here- those Shorai lithium batteries are a pain in real cold weather starting. We usually have to jump at least one lithium battery bike on (extreme) cold mornings.

So it might depend on where you live & where you intend to ride.

For my riding group the Odyssey seems to be battery of choice for longest life, vs cold starting, vs no sudden failures, vs low cost per year of ownership.

The stock battery on my 2013 R1200RT is starting to crank slow. What do folks recommend for a replacement. 'Seems like the Shorai gets high ratings.

Thanks AndyS

If I got the technology right, I've posted it under Camheads.

mod edit: merged with post under Camheads

Odyssey All the way

I used one in my 2007 RT and the battery is one the bench (exchanged the bike for a wet head) but it still 100%

Just be careful how you charge it.

MIKE

Will be picking up my "13 camhead soon and might try the Shorei 27 series. About $80 more than the pc680 I normally get but with a 10 lbs savings. Next time grab a 10 lbs dumbbell and tell me it's not a big diff on a bike.

Don't get me wrong, love my pc680 and it was still 7years strong even after the deer totaled my bike. Being in MO.I don't mind taking a chance on the cold weather short falls of lithium.

Have always gotten great service out of the OEM. Just had my 2012 in for service and asked they check the battery since it seemed to crank slower than it had been. They said it was right on the edge and I could just keep at eye on it. At 3 1/2 years old figured it was time and not worth getting stuck. They installed a new BMW OEM battery they said has a better warranty now .. not sure if 2 or 3 years. $140 and I got to give my local dealer the business!

When I purchased my 2012 the dealer said the battery has a two year warranty vs the bike having three. Maybe it's three now.

At three years on the original batt.on the 13RT I just bought, I am noticing slow cranking if I had stuff on for a few minutes before cranking. I have read that's the life span of original batteries on these bikes. I normally install a pc680, but will be trying the EarthX 24D at a weight savings of 10 lbs.

Nope, have not. Funny, just a year and a half ago I was in Batteries + picking up a watch battery and asked the guy if they were carrying Lithium batteries yet? "What's a Lithium battery" says he.

My EarthX battery arrived today and installed it. Had a hard time getting the factory battery out due to weight and tight space...put the Lithium in and took it out several times to get the height just right, man this batteries light.

Just weighted the Exide- 13.4lbs vs 2.7lbs for the EarthX. Over 10lbs savings for only $260, how much carbon and titanium would I need to buy to save that much weight...and what would that cost. Time will tell if I jumped on the Lithium band wagon too soon, let's see if it lasts as long as my pc680s I normally use.

Don_Eilenberger

Just weighted the Exide- 13.4lbs vs 2.7lbs for the EarthX. Over 10lbs savings for only $260, how much carbon and titanium would I need to buy to save that much weight...and what would that cost. Time will tell if I jumped on the Lithium band wagon too soon, let's see if it lasts as long as my pc680s I normally use.

Unless you're an exceptional BMW rider - the vast majority of us could loose 11lbs easily by skipping a few of those lunches. Seems much more cost effective - and healthy to boot.

Archived