IGNORED

Oil weight confusion

bsaumph

I have a 2013 R1200RT. The manual states weights of:5w40, 5w50,10w40, 10w50, & 15w40.

When I had the 600mi check done they put 20w50 in it. At 6000 15w50 neither of which are the recommended weight. So what should I be running in this???

I'm sure either is fine but it just bothers me. I assume BMW recommended the former weights for a reason so why are the dealerships using non-recommended ones?

10w40 is easy to find 15w50 sorta common too. Any advise on these weights? thanks!

BMW recommends a variety of oils including weights of 20W/XX for temperatures from 0-degrees C to 30-degrees C (opposed twins). Many dealerships purchase their oil in bulk so perhaps they still had some 20W/50 left. Most dealerships should now be using the new Advantec 5W/40 or 15W/50 blends. Just about any 10W/15W/20W engine oil should be suitable for an air/oil cooled engine such as the one in your '13MY R1200RT.

Don't sweat it. My dealer told me to use Castrol 20w/50 until it breaks in. Then they recommended Mobil 1 15W/50. I followed the recommendations and at about 18,000 miles I switched over to Mobil 1 15W/50. Currently have 41,000 miles and my oil consumption is very tight. I have a 2012RT. Same engine. Go ride and have fun.

terryofperry
Don't sweat it. My dealer told me to use Castrol 20w/50 until it breaks in. Then they recommended Mobil 1 15W/50. I followed the recommendations and at about 18,000 miles I switched over to Mobil 1 15W/50. Currently have 41,000 miles and my oil consumption is very tight. I have a 2012RT. Same engine. Go ride and have fun.

Your dealer is wrong by the way. Just saying.

Terry

Guest Kakugo
I have a 2013 R1200RT. The manual states weights of:5w40, 5w50,10w40, 10w50, & 15w40.

When I had the 600mi check done they put 20w50 in it. At 6000 15w50 neither of which are the recommended weight. So what should I be running in this???

I'm sure either is fine but it just bothers me. I assume BMW recommended the former weights for a reason so why are the dealerships using non-recommended ones?

10w40 is easy to find 15w50 sorta common too. Any advise on these weights? thanks!

The local BMW dealership runs all Camheads on 10W-40, unless the owner reports "high" oil consumption, in which case they use the same 15W-50 they use in Oilheads and Hexheads.

I am honestly suprised BMW dealerships still use 20W-50 on oil-cooled bikes: here BMW instruct dealers to only use it on Airheads.

Oilheads used to be run on 20W-50 as well, but BMW instructed dealerships to run them on 15W-50 since 2002.

The local BMW dealership runs all Camheads on 10W-40, unless the owner reports "high" oil consumption, in which case they use the same 15W-50 they use in Oilheads and Hexheads.

I am honestly suprised BMW dealerships still use 20W-50 on oil-cooled bikes: here BMW instruct dealers to only use it on Airheads.

Oilheads used to be run on 20W-50 as well, but BMW instructed dealerships to run them on 15W-50 since 2002.

Morning Kakugo

Next time you are at one of those dealerships that says BMW instructed them to use 15w50 can you get them to print you out the BMW service bulletin showing that? Or at least get the service bulletin number on using 15w50 since 2002?

I have most of the BMW service bulletins (at least for the US) & can't find anything showing the use of 15w50 oil in place of 20w50.

I have a 2013 R1200R and the owners manual calls for 15W-50 oil. That is the only oil that the owners manual lists.

Roger L

Guest Kakugo

Morning Kakugo

Next time you are at one of those dealerships that says BMW instructed them to use 15w50 can you get them to print you out the BMW service bulletin showing that? Or at least get the service bulletin number on using 15w50 since 2002?

I have most of the BMW service bulletins (at least for the US) & can't find anything showing the use of 15w50 oil in place of 20w50.

I'll do next service. :thumbsup:

My Hexhead has run on 15W-50 since it left the dealership in 2009.

The last specific engine-oil specification, as far as viscosity/weights I can find was issued in 2002. For what it's worth, 20W/50 and 15W/40 are listed as "approved" for all engine types.

Thanks for the responses!!

I guess I'll just go with 15w 50 Mobil 1. I ran my 2000 RT on 20w 50 Mobile 1 with no problems.

So I did some more sleuthing and found out BMW updated the manual for my bike and now recommends only 15w-50. Well that makes it easy!!

So I did some more sleuthing and found out BMW updated the manual for my bike and now recommends only 15w-50. Well that makes it easy!!

I have seen that recommendation for the camhead 1200R bike but not for the 1200RT yet. Where did you find that 15w50 recommendation for the camhead 1200RT?

Funny how both have the same camhead engine. Oil recommendations differ. Maybe BMW is slow in updating their information to the consumer.

I know not the year model and engine you were asking about, but here is what is in the manual for the 2014 RT

Viscosity class Product recommended by BMW Motorrad: Castrol Power 1 Racing

SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2

CoarsegoldKid

I'm in the process of asking oil manufactures/distributors for sponsorship donations to the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest. Our Adventure Ride on the weekend of July 15-17 2016 will have various adventure motorcycles participating. If you are of the GS/GSA crowd and want to contribute to a GREAT cause please join us. We'll raffle off lots of stuff. I'd like to narrow the oil viscosity request down to just a few. It would appear that 20w-50 can be used for almost all the BMW's through the Camheads. What is the recommended viscosity for the Wetheads?

thanks all

What is the recommended viscosity for the Wetheads?

thanks all

Morning CoarsegoldKid

Only God knows what the current (as of 20 seconds ago) recommended is but the 2014 1200RT WC was--

SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (e.g.

on a molybdenum basis) are not permitted, as

they will attack coated engine components, BMW

Motorrad recommends Castrol Power 1 Racing

4T SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2

CoarsegoldKid

So SAE 5w-40, API SL / JASO MA2 without molybdenum additives meets the spec today. thanks

So SAE 5w-40, API SL / JASO MA2 without molybdenum additives meets the spec today.

Morning CoarsegoldKid

I don't know about TODAY but that was the oil spec on 2/14 when my manual was printed.

So SAE 5w-40, API SL / JASO MA2 without molybdenum additives meets the spec today. thanks

That's also the viscosity (specified in the manual) for my 2015 GSA (built July 2015, and delivered November 2015). Don't know offhand when the manual was printed.

Too add more fuel to the fire...

I just picked up a 2012 RT and I'm in the process of my 12k service. I have pieces a BMW service manual which is current as of 5/15. The oil recommended is:

BMW Motorrad High Performance Oil, SAE 15W-50, API SJ/JASO MA2

Part # 83212213684

This part number is now obsolete. From searching on line, there are indications it might be because BMW ended their agreement with Castrol and went to a new supplier.

BMW has entered into an agreement with Shell to produce the new Advantec engine oils in 5W/40 (Ultimate) and 15W/50 (Pro) viscosities. The base oils are natural-gas-sources (as opposed to crude oils), hence the new name and labeling. The Pro is a semi-synthetic oil.

I downloaded the latest manual.I went to the US BMW site , click “service maintenance” then “riders manual then pick model from right side.

Link http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

The manual that came with my bike (model code 0440) was 8/11 3rd ed the newest is 8/13 4th ed and calls for 15w-50 API SJ JASO MA2. FYI MA2 is for bikes with cat converters, and isn’t so easy to find, so it looks like BMW is going to be the easiest source for a while. Mobile 1 is not MA2.

I downloaded the latest manual.I went to the US BMW site , click “service maintenance” then “riders manual then pick model from right side.

Link http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

The manual that came with my bike (model code 0440) was 8/11 3rd ed the newest is 8/13 4th ed and calls for 15w-50 API SJ JASO MA2. FYI MA2 is for bikes with cat converters, and isn’t so easy to find, so it looks like BMW is going to be the easiest source for a while. Mobile 1 is not MA2.

Evening bsaumph

Does your new riders manual spell out 15w-50 API SJ JASO MA2 OR 15w-50 API SJ/JASO MA2-- there is no API JASO standard as they are different rating standards.

Mobil 1 15w50 has not been tested for MA2 compliance but that doesn't mean that is doesn't comply.

Mobil sells motorcycle-specific oil at a pretty hefty profit so doesn't market the Mobil 1 15w50 as a specific motorcycle oil. (basically they didn't spend the time & money to have it tested/rated to meet the motorcycle standard as it is marketed as an automobile oil)

But the newer Mobil 1 15w50 does have an API SM rating which is about equivalent to the MA 2 standard as far a cat protection goes.

Oops I guess I left out the slash. Good point about it not being graded MA2 because they didn't care to test it. Kinda seems like most oils would be safe for cat converters seeing how all cars have them. Hmmmmm

The new standard

The new 2006 JASO ms2 standard raises acceptable oil quality levels and introduces two further major

changes. Firstly, additional clutch friction classifications have been defined to recognize the lower

frictional characteristics of new PCMOs and to allow OEMs to better define their oil

recommendations. And secondly, phosphorous limits have been added to improve catalyst

compatibility if needed in the future, while assuring good antiwear performance.

It was my understanding that the MA2 rating had to do with friction modifiers for wet clutches. Since the Camheads and the Hexhead motors have dry clutches do these standards matter? Below is a link to the JASO MB and JASO MB standard explained.

Morning Roger L

It sort of does but not in the way most think.

The big difference between friction modifiers is between MA & MB not between MA-1 & MA-2.

On the MA side the MA-1 & MA-2 difference is in how the additives effect emission control devices (like catalytic converter). The wet clutch effect is more between the MA & MB rating.

Why is this so difficult?

If you intend to start your motor in really cold conditions, the smaller the first number the better. This is the ONLY significance of the first number.

The 2nd number describes how your motor oil performs after the motor is started and warmed up. The difference between 40 and 50 is basically meaningless. There could be a minor fuel economy difference, as the higher number creates a little more internal drag.

The first number has zero affect on the 2nd number.

Modern motors are broken in in the first hour they run, so change to whatever you want at 600 miles and don't worry, be happy.

If you have a BMW with a wet clutch, use exactly what BMW recommends. Going to a bigger 2nd number not advised.

Archived