IGNORED

Iphone connection

Will Lucero

Will Lucero

Hi all

I've just bought a R1200 RT 2016.

It has an USB cable on the right compartment.

I connected my iPhone through and iPhone cable, hoping to have music from the it, using the SRC selector and selecting USB, however nothing happened.

the seller told me that should be connected trough Blue tooth and Nav.

I follow the instructions unsuccessfully, I will try again, but my question is:

Does Iphone connect through the cable provided, I read it on the Audio user manual that it connects, I don't understand why mine it doesn't. the user manual says that is an Ipod connection than Iphone but the iphone will work as an IPod and that's enough for me because I have the Iphone connected to my helmet it is all I want, music for the moment.

Can anyone tell me if Iphone is supposed to connect to the audio system through the cable provided?

The seller has tried his best but is far from his knowledege. thanks.

That USB cable is for charging only. Your iPhone needs to be paired to your communicator in your helmet via Bluetooth.

Yes and no

It's half correct.

There is a special cable that you can purchase from BMW that will fix this for you. Essentially the USB connection will charge and show data, but will NOT give you audio. The audio is connected via the round connector that you find next to the BMW USB in your RHS compartment.

Sorry..no time to explain further as I have got to go to work.

If nobody has sorted this out by this afternoon, I will explain further....

John Bentall

I have a cheap iPhone adaptor cable bought from an auction site.

The cable has an Apple Lightning connector and a 3.5mm stereo jack. The junction box is devoid of any electronics. I plug the Lightning connector into the base of the IPhone which changes it and I plug the stereo jack into the headset socket which provides the audio.

The cheap cables do not allow control of the iPhone from the control wheel.

I hope this helps the OP.

Will... welcome on board... please consider editing your info to show us where you are.

Using the iPhone to play tunes is probably the hardest way to get tunes to your headset.

The Right Hand Side compartment is where I plug in a 6 gig jump drive with about 900 tunes on it. It plays perfectly and easily. and... if you have tunes/audio books on your iPhone they must have gotten there via iTunes. So, why not invest the $10. bucks get a thumb drive and download the iTunes library to it.

My iPhone 6s (and previously the 5s) pairs via Bluetooth easily, reliably and it provides access to various Garmin services. I do not use it for music since I have the jump drive which is easier and does not require battery. I get calls inbound as well as outbound. No problem. Plus, if you use the jump drive approach you control it with the Wonder Wheel. Don't like a track- just nudge the wheel toward the right. Want to hear a track again, just pull to the left. and... the track title shows in the dashboard.

I suggest you find the RKA video on Youtube and which was recently discussed on this site. Do your pairing the way he shows it...

[quote=hopz

I suggest you find the RKA video on Youtube and which was recently discussed on this site. Do your pairing the way he shows it...

Here is a link to the RKA/Richard Battles YouTube video:

Will Lucero

Thanks All for this information, it is really frustrating to spend good money in a something advance and don't get the full features that you have in less costly cars or aftermarket audio systems.

I didn't try with an USB drive but plugged and SD card with USB adapter which I use in my truck but din't work.

I will download music to a thumb drive and see what happens. I think there are restriction with the type of format you use on USB drives, I hope Windows 10 do not generate additional issues...

Regarding pairing with my helmet, I read the posts about the sequence, I have a Sena SMH 10R and the Navi, I followed the sequence however GPS instructions are not going through the helmet neither music, I don't want music in my helmet because is really distracted and the sound is poor. However I do want GPS instructions and eventually a call but I need to see who is calling. Other thing that will be good is to have BT music sent through the iphone to the Audio system. I still can't believe that with this expensive system BMW didn't figure out how to connect Iphone, I imagine is similar for other smartphones. I had a BMW 2009 and it was only required the interface to get your telephone connected, nowadays it is only a matter of processors (CPU) which I'm sure BMW Audio System has enough capacity.

I will edit my information and add pictures.

On the other hand I'm really enjoying every time I ride my bike, and of course I connected the telephone through the Audio jack.

thanks again,

John Bentall
I still can't believe that with this expensive system BMW didn't figure out how to connect Iphone.

When you say that BMW haven't figured it out - do you have the Genuine BMW iPhone cable, which my dealer assures me will work, or a generic cable bought over the internet?

John

Will... sorry you are having so much frustration with your setup.

All I can tell you at this point is that if you follow the method.. PRECISELY- as shown in the RKA video, your system will work as designed and desired...

Unless you have a hardware problem, your system will work. There must be some step in the set up you have missed...

Maybe if you could find a fellow rider in your area who could take you through it... It will work.

No iPhone nor Sena headset here (nor Schuberth SRC System for my Schuberth C3 Pro helmet), so pairing my smartphone isn't possible for my config. I did experiment pairing a BT earpiece to my Samsung GS5 to "alert" me with on-screen display message on an incoming call but that wasn't successful (or I didn't correctly follow the sequence as shown in the linked RKA video). I simply check for missed calls (and emails) when I stop for butt breaks, which works for me old-school style.

To augment Sirius sat radio though, I do have a mini thumb drive loaded with MP3 cuts (sorted in playlists by genre in M3U format) plugged into that cable. In any case, rather than helmet speakers, I still prefer my AZ Al's custom molded ear speakers going strong after prox 8 years of use. Many here know about Al's buds but for those that don't, I continue to enjoy a quiet ride with audio piped (air tube style) to my ears with non-fatiguing frequency response for long day rides plus no worries about breaking delicate signal wires.

Will Lucero

All I can tell you at this point is that if you follow the method.. PRECISELY- as shown in the RKA video, your system will work as designed and desired...

Unless you have a hardware problem, your system will work. There must be some step in the set up you have missed...

Maybe if you could find a fellow rider in your area who could take you through it... It will work.

Awesome, thanks, I prepared and USB pen drive and works, going to Austin today for MOTOGP, I need the telephone on my helmet and system, will see the video to do it. Thanks!!!

fourteenfour
the cable that came with the bike and an iphone original cable. it is a 2016 model.

The bike has a cable but you need to use an optional additional cable to connect to an iPhone https://stagingas.ascycles.com/2/Products/ProductId/30824 if you have a newer iPhone you'll need the adapter.

Jay

go find the cables on a certain auction site and save a bundle, heck amazon carries them cheap

I have an SMH 10 and it will not connect using the procedure in that video. He has a 10-S so I dont this it will work for him either. The procedure in the video is only for the Sena 20. I contacted sena and this is what they sent me for the SMH-10. I coppied and pasted it below

I suggest trying the following pairings:

-SMH10 to Nav V as Multipoint(refer to User's Guide for pairing instructions)

-SMH10 to phone via Media Selective

-Phone to Nav V

-SMH10 to other Sena headsets via Intercom

If using a 20s instead of SMH10, replace Multipoint with Second Mobile Phone Pairing.

Let me know if that works better.

Regards,

Hai

This procedure has worked for me

reg26...

I am fully aware that the RKA video we have discussed is showing an SMH 20.

I have an SMH10 and I can assure you that the process works for me.

I also think there is great value in following the procedure's first step... that being to reset each and every device you want to involve in the pairing. This means the Headset, the GPS, the bike.

Lastly let me say if you have an alternative method that works for you... that is a good thing. I have no stake in the You Tube video one way or the other.

Thanks Hopz. I tried it a couple times and didnt work for me which is why I contacted Sena. Did it just the way the video says. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I have the latest firmware update also. very strange

Archived