IGNORED

6300 miles , 2015 RT , drip . Shoulda I , or shouldn't I wait ?

1stiski

My great ride has now exhibited the notorious drip from the weep hole .

I noticed it happened on a ride yesterday , took a pic, cleaned it and continued my ride , did another 70 miles and it didn't leak anymore .... ? The site level shows proper height in the level. should I sit on this or make an apt with the dealer ? I plan on giving them a call just to let them know ...

C14B8FF7-F8F4-4C67-8ACD-51A87AE00FD2_zpsifqc0jdt.jpg

Opinions ?

I wonder if it is so commonplace, if there is a service bulletin out on it. It is a leak of the mechanical seal on the water pump. Back in my engineering life we were always told that any good mechanical seal would leak-imperceptively.

larry

I think the key is to keep an eye on the fluid level in the expansion tank. I have the same weep on my GSA, but there's been no perceptible loss of coolant in the tank. Personally, I don't worry about it, but if/when I'm at the dealer, I will show it to them (I've got less than 3,000 miles on my bike).

Thanks for the post...

By all means... report it to the dealer and ask that they note it in your records.

As it turns out, there are probably fewer of us who have had the leak/seep that the web-traffic would suggest.

If my information is correct... and I think it is... At the present time dealers have been advised not to replace pumps for minor leaks... such as you photographed... before the 6k mile service. But, if it continues and or increases... then it is time to press for replacement. Your pressing may, or may not result in anything and it may all depend your relationship with the Service Manager. In other words- be nice.

Mine was 2 or 3 times the volume shown in your photo and it was replaced at about 3k miles... when they were doing some other recalls.

My advice is to clean it up and keep an eye on it. Take note of the dates, mileage and circumstance of the next seep. By this I mean was it after some "spirited" riding or long trips etc. You may choose not to reveal these circumstances although it should not matter.

Are you the original owner?

If you want... drop me a Private Message on this forum and I will respond with my email. I am keeping a sort of "collection" of others who are having the seep.

The really good news is that to my knowledge... no actual problems seem to have occurred because of the seep. Ride it enjoy the bike. Check the weep hole from the to time.

Hopz has some good advice. While mine has not shown a weep in 16K miles, and I am glad of that, I think the "problem" is minor. In other words no one seems to become stranded, or start to lose fluid at a rapid rate. Many times they do seem to fix themselves.

I would not hesitate to go on a long trip with yours as shown in the pic.

I am the orginal owner ... Went for a ride today , 130 miles of various roads , open to twisty and hills . No leaks , non issue ... I'm sure there is some explanation , but honestly , it's not a big deal to know or understand. I will report it to my dealer just as a courtesy , and monitor it . At least it's not like my ole KTM 950 where an pump leak ( and no external weep hole ) would flow into the case and cause an oil filter collapse and toast to motor !!

Mine is a 2014 and at 10K no leak. I have pulled the panel a couple of times to check the fluid. I know you can see it through the window, but just wanted a look. Mine as near the middle of the correct fill line so topped it to top of fill line. So far so good.

No leaks on mine, but also very low mileage i.e 2500k miles.

I would still suggest to send an email to both, your dealer and BMW USA with the attached photo, explaining to them that you just noticed the leak. Inform them that you are sending the email in case it does not remedy itself by the time you get to the 6k mile service OR before the warranty runs out.

Ask them at what stage they expect to take action, if the situation doesn't correct itself.

The reality is that although a minor nuisance, this is not normal and the absolute majority of bikes have no leaks what so ever.

Where exactly is this weep hole? I have heard about this on and off, but it had never been portrayed as a big deal at all.

I want to take a look at mine, just to know.

John

left, lower, forward section of the left cylinder casting. Where the cylinder meets the engine case. There is a horizontal casting line, follow that forward a bit and you will find a hole just below this casting line.

Observation of the weep hole being discussed does not require removal of any parts...

Just get down and look upward and forward of the left-hand cylinder. It is that orifice... about 1/8th of an inch in diameter.

PM me with an email address and I will send a photo of my "seep". (Photo bucket is not playing well with me this morning...)

My 2015 RT started to weep at 700 miles. Dealer replaced water pump seal at 1100 miles. I noticed slight seepage at 2300 mies after engine had been idling whilst hot for several minutes. No evidence of any further problem in last 500 miles.

At the 12,000 mile service I had to add 100mL of coolant to bring the coolant up to the full line. At 18,000 miles the coolant is in the middle of the two lines. Evidence of weeping is visible but nothing I am worried about. I check it while I am checking the tire pressure and just keep riding.

Alan

Made a friendly call to my dealer and spoke to the service manager. I just let them know it did and I have a log I keep on all aspects of the bike. He said to not worry about it, but to keep an eye on it and call back if the intervals increase or it keeps weeping all the time. So back to riding I go.

648 miles on my 2015 and it had a weep. And I mean a weep of like a few drops. Hardly made it down the case.

I called and the Service Manager, who I trust, said look just wipe it clean and we will watch it. He said we used to just replace them but now they had to wait to 2000 miles. He also said he would rather see if it continues rather then pull a new motor apart with the same design/part in the supply line.

In 2000 miles more it has never wept a drop since.

He said no worries we got 3 years 36,000 miles if it acts up again. I have now worries on it at all.

My story and I am sticking too it.

648 miles on my 2015 and it had a weep. And I mean a weep of like a few drops. Hardly made it down the case.

I called and the Service Manager, who I trust, said look just wipe it clean and we will watch it. He said we used to just replace them but now they had to wait to 2000 miles. He also said he would rather see if it continues rather then pull a new motor apart with the same design/part in the supply line.

In 2000 miles more it has never wept a drop since.

He said no worries we got 3 years 36,000 miles if it acts up again. I have now worries on it at all.

My story and I am sticking too it.

I had drip on 15 RT until I reached about 4000 miles and then it stopped! No sign of any problems since. GT

• 2 weeks later...

My 14RT has 36,482 miles on it and no leak or weeping so far , I would definitely report it to the dealer so it is a matter of record and keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse .

• 1 month later...
S-burg Ron

I go in next week for the fifth water pump. I'm at 21,000 miles on a 2014 RT. The dealer replaced the 1st one at the 600 mile service (actually 900 mi) and they have leaked to the point of the expansion tank going below the minimum coolant line numerous times since. The one that is being replaced now leaked almost immediately on a ride from PA to Canada but did seal up after about 1,000 mi and started leaking again more than before. I put another 4,000 mi on it hoping it would seal up again but it didn't. It's to the point of leaking droplets on the exhaust pipe and garage floor. This is going to be a real pain after the warranty expires. My friends riding other brands are having fun with this.

You're a patient man! :thumbsup: I think I would have bailed on number 3. Where do you go though? It's such a nice bike but could or would you risk the frustration with another RT again?

Seems very unusual that five pumps have let you down. Installation?

Pat

Ron, NOt every state has a mc lemon law which sux.

Your [profile doesn't say where you are so check your state.

But, if you truly have had the same repair/replacement fail 5 times, I'd have a heart to heart with the dealer.

Tell them you have lost faith in the integrity of the vehicle.

If you have a lemon law available start the process.

Also contact the mothership and start the process with customer service rep.

This will be long and laborious.

Take copious notes, be polite, detail and record e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, who, what, when etc.

You do not want to, nor should you have to deal with this any more or have it come up out of warranty.

If it is leaking, have tham fix it.

If it starts again.

Take it back.

Park it. Tell them to make you whole again.

BMW will, reluctantly, when appropriate, buy back bikes.

If you truly have an issue the dealership can't fix using their factory trained techs, you should not be expected to use the vehicle.

If it leaks again be prepared to be without the bike for a very, very, very long time.

There is no excuse acceptable at this point if you've done what they told you to do.

Now, if it is a minor problem, TADT, and it doesn't affect safety etc you may have an uphill struggle.

I'mout of the loop with thses models and this issue.

Good luck.

Sam Rowland

Look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, it's a Federal law that protects consumers dealing with warranty issues, and how the dealer and munufacturers deals with them

Im sorry you are having that problem. I doubt 5 pumps are bad so something else wrong. My 2014 so far is clean and leak free. I did an oil and filter change this weekend and checked closely antifreeze level and the weep hole. All is good. I would follow the advice of tallman and others and try to get the lemon law and or get BMW to step up to a real fix.

Good luck...keep us posted.

Not a high jack but when I changed my oil this weekend at 12k miles, I put in the 4 litres of Genuine overpriced BMW oil and it only brought it up 3/4 of the window even after riding it a bit. Strange all other oil changes put it at top of site glass. I'm going to leave it and watch it.

It's not always an easy option, but it seems to me that you'd be well served by trying another dealer.

The idea of five pumps going bad is either phenomenally bad luck or--and I think this is more likely--an undiagnosed defect or failure elsewhere that's causing this.

I'm about as far removed from being a mechanic as you could imagine, but it seems they're chasing the symptom rather than the cause.

S-burg Ron

Thanks for the suggestions. I am from Pa and our lemon law only covers automobiles, not motorcycles. I checked into that 2 pumps ago. I do plan on having a discussion with the dealership owner this trip. The dealership has a solid reputation and I think they will work with me. They found the problem a couple of times during service and changed out the pump without me asking. The mechanic showed me how the pump's shaft is designed and could possibly wobble causing the seal to leak. I am with you on it being something other than the pump. I will be looking into the possibility of of the pressure cap holding too much pressure or what is at the other end of the pump shaft that could be out of alignment. I would unload this bike except for the fact that other than this problem it is a great ride. I have been from coast to coast and the ride and cruising range are great. I was thinking about trading on a 16 but I guess I would be rewarding BMW for their failure. I'll try to remember to keep you posted.

If yopu can afford a trade, and the dealer will give you a very good deal, I would jump on it.

For many reasons.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the club!

I went for a ride Saturday on my 5500 mile 2015 RT. I rode about 250 miles in 90 plus heat. Sunday morning there were a couple of drops of blue fluid under the front of the engine. I traced the fluid back to the water pump witness port.

I emailed my dealer Monday about the leak and they said that they'd seen a few RT water pump leaks. They also said that BMW was aware of the issue and was preparing a Service Bulletin to address the problem. The Service Manager mentioned they'd be able to install the bulletin the next time I bring the bike in for service so it sounds like the SB will be available soon.

RA John

Fifth water pump ? I'd have to say there's something fishy in Denmark. My 14RT is closing in on 48,000 miles and have never had a water pump leak problem , sounds like an installation problem maybe , I'd definitely get in touch with BMW higher-ups and complain long and hard .

If you are a BMW MOA member, there is a member liaison to help you through this issue. Look them up in your magazine or the MOA website.

Archived