IGNORED

ABS REMOVAL what new pipes req,d

dougied

Hey guys hope you are all good.

Guys I bought my r1150rt 2004 with the ABS having been removed. Now it looks like the rear rubber brake hose is needing changed so may as well change the lot of them in the braking system. Problem here in the Uk is that all kits advertised are either ABS or Non ABS so im at a loss as to which to get as my ABS is no longer there and so some pipe will be shorter/longer than the original ABS now its gone !! - anyone see my problem. I was looking to get new stainless steel braided hoses. Thanks in advance buddies !!

Dougie

Morning Dougie

You will probably have to call the company that is offering the hose kits.

The BMW 1150RT didn't come without ABS so you will have to ask EXACTLY what a non-ABS kit consists of.

Whether or not the ABS kit will work OK depends on HOW your ABS was eliminated. If just the ABS controller was removed & the front TEE flipped over then a short piece or rear metal pipe made up then the ABS kit should work OK.

On the other hand IF the front was re-plumbed using different hoses & the rear was done using a longer rubber hose then the stock ABS kit probably won't work for you.

Hi Dougie.

I have an 1150 with the removed ABS Servo.

I bought the Goodgidge braided hose kit (from motorworks) - which was for the the stock machine. It all fitted just fine.

The rear hose is the only one that needed care with the routing.

Hi andy by stock machine I assume you mean ABS as standard?

How hard is it to get the tank off mate looks like I have to change the coil too under the tank anyway just found out.

Hi andy thanks for that fella I,ll compare the 2. Seen a link anywhere on how to take the tank off/ apparently my indie says the coil under the tank has gone too that feeds both coils, its been arcing for a while

szurszewski

You need to take off the left and right side panels. Apart from that, you need to disconnect the fuel lines and connection for the pump/fuel indicator. I believe on the 1150 there is only one pinch bolt holding the tank in place.

It is a big tank though, so best if you can empty as much fuel (by riding, ideally!) as possible before starting.

Hi Andy

I contacted motorworks and they sold me a

Full front kit part number BRA11544 - £111.94

Rear Hose BRA51042 - £32.50

Site shows these are for anything rt1150rt up to 2002 but he assures me they are right and I will have them by Monday so handy coils coming then too. Thx again pal.

Nice on andy thanks for that really looking for what to watch out for from you pro,s who have done it before manuals always miss something ha ha ! Im gonna do it today anyway one way or another as I have to do get it ready for tue next week to

1- change the brake pipes to braided

2- change the Ignition Coil Double Inition under the tank.

For another post (you may know where on here) my bikes been ticking for 2 years intermittently. put it in for a service yesterday get the TB,s balanced, new cam chain tensioner etc and the mechanic heard it ticking constantly and found the faulty secondary coil unit under the tank, took it out and noise is gone it was arcing for 2 years so at only £75 from the stealers had to order it so bike should run better too what with the new tensioner as well ....thx for your help again andy

Hi DirtRider

The front hoses look original so shouldn,t be a problem there then but the rear hose looks quite long although whoever did it doesn,t seem to have changed any fittings that i can see.

Morning Dougie

You will probably have to call the company that is offering the hose kits.

The BMW 1150RT didn't come without ABS so you will have to ask EXACTLY what a non-ABS kit consists of.

Whether or not the ABS kit will work OK depends on HOW your ABS was eliminated. If just the ABS controller was removed & the front TEE flipped over then a short piece or rear metal pipe made up then the ABS kit should work OK.

On the other hand IF the front was re-plumbed using different hoses & the rear was done using a longer rubber hose then the stock ABS kit probably won't work for you.

got my new goodrich hose kit today front fitted fine although I found I couldn't tighten the supplied bolts tight enough so used the old ones with new washers instead.

Rear hose they gave me was way too short though. As I said my ABS has been removed totally so no servo, But the rubber hose I got at present fitted from the caliper to the rear master cyclinder is 20 inches long with slight angles on the end not as much as 22 degrees though. The one they gave me is only 12 inches and has a 90 degree on one end so no good any one got any ideas? is 20 inches right for the rear hose?

When I produced a 'Servoectomy' Walkthru, I included this information which is worth checking out:

Remove original brake hose and replace with part number

343 276 844 08 (as fitted to R1150GS adv).

Hi AndyS

Thanks mate I,ll look that up in a mo. Did that pipe go from the rear caliper to the top of the rear master cylinder then?

I see you mentioned before about getting the hoses from motorworks I replied to your post the rear they sent me was a BRA51042 with a 90 degree elbow on one end I cant get it to fit seems too short mate is the same one as you had?

Also cant find your post for the servo removal care to show me the link thanks? I,ll pm you if easier.

cheers Dougie

So, on my bike, I made up a hard pipe from the top of the Master cylinder to the frame fitting where the rear flexible hose attaches to the original solid pipework.

However, the part number 343 276 844 08 (as fitted to R1150GS adv) I am told fits correctly with the correct lengths and angles.

See the drawing in the walk-thru.

I am happy to email the walkthru to anyone, just PM me your email.

ha ha hope you,re right andy just made an offer on one on ebay new in the packet...Sending the other one back to motorworks.

Thanks again

Dougie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I got that part number you said and it didn't fit mate the angles were all wrong. I ended up buying a rear braided hose from James Sherlock in Devon www.james-sherlock.co.uk for a total delivered price of £27.95 for a 2002 r1150GS Non ABS fits well.

My friend is a BMW indie based in Bromley kent and I took a run up there through frustration to look at what bikes he had in and I found the GS above had what I needed.I also noted there was in at that time a 2003 r1150rs but his rear master was positioned at 10 past 5 rather like my 2004 rt at 6 o,clock so there are loads of differences.Im happy though. The rear wouldn't stop you on its own and they,re not exactly great but hey it works and its not supposed to eh !Thanks again for your help mate I,ve shared your link with a few folk too !!

10 past 5 ? Sorry I meant 10 past 7

Hi Andy

I got that part number you said and it didn't fit mate the angles were all wrong. I ended up buying a rear braided hose from James Sherlock in Devon www.james-sherlock.co.uk for a total delivered price of £27.95 for a 2002 r1150GS Non ABS fits well.

My friend is a BMW indie based in Bromley kent and I took a run up there through frustration to look at what bikes he had in and I found the GS above had what I needed.I also noted there was in at that time a 2003 r1150rs but his rear master was positioned at 10 past 5 rather like my 2004 rt at 6 o,clock so there are loads of differences.Im happy though. The rear wouldn't stop you on its own and they,re not exactly great but hey it works and its not supposed to eh !Thanks again for your help mate I,ve shared your link with a few folk too !!

• 1 month later...
bulletbill

I have removed my Servo unit used the "No Cost" wiring diagram. Now I have ground fault, blows the rear brake light fuse after 50 or so miles? Any suggestion.

What 'No Cost' wiring diagram?

Do you have a copy of it? Can you post it?

I can send you a copy of a Servoectomy procedure if you message me your email.

I have removed my Servo unit used the "No Cost" wiring diagram. Now I have ground fault, blows the rear brake light fuse after 50 or so miles? Any suggestion.

Morning bulletbill

Not knowing exactly how you rewired in your brake light circuit I will have to guess at your problem.

If you wired in your brake light circuit relay to the #2 fuse that is ONLY a 4 amp fuse so might not have enough current capacity to handle the brake lights & other circuits. (you might try a 10 amp fuse to see if that makes a difference)

Archived