IGNORED

Gauges will not Zero

Rogerl

This morning when I went to start my 2013 BMW R1200R to ride to work it almost did not start. The starter clicked a few times then the bike started. The battery is on its last legs and I have a new one ordered. It should be here in a few days. As I was riding I looked down and the speedometer and the tachometer were reading way high. When I got to work I shut off the bike then turned on the key and the gauges still did not zero properly. When the bike is turned off the tach is reading about 800 rpm and the speedometer is reading about 15 MPH.

What do I need to do to get the gauges to zero properly?

Thanks

Roger L

This morning when I went to start my 2013 BMW R1200R to ride to work it almost did not start. The starter clicked a few times then the bike started. The battery is on its last legs and I have a new one ordered. It should be here in a few days. As I was riding I looked down and the speedometer and the tachometer were reading way high. When I got to work I shut off the bike then turned on the key and the gauges still did not zero properly. When the bike is turned off the tach is reading about 800 rpm and the speedometer is reading about 15 MPH.

What do I need to do to get the gauges to zero properly?

Morning Roger L

That's a darn good question. Hopefully a new battery with the old battery disconnected for about 15 minutes between battery changes will allow it to return to normal.

Otherwise I really don't know. Hopefully it's just some sort of electrical off-set & not that the needles have migrated on their armatures from bouncing off the stop pins that has caused you the problem.

I just checked the bike and the needles are back to zero. This will be the last ride until I get the new battery installed. I did not ride yesterday and the bike was out in the 45 degree cold overnight. The bike is inside now. I put a volt meter on the bike and the battery voltage was 12.3 volts this morning. It was 12.7 when I just checked the bike.

When I put the new battery in do I need to do something with the throttle position sensors? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that when you reconnect the battery you need to do something to reset them.

Thanks

Roger L

I just checked the bike and the needles are back to zero. This will be the last ride until I get the new battery installed. I did not ride yesterday and the bike was out in the 45 degree cold overnight. The bike is inside now. I put a volt meter on the bike and the battery voltage was 12.3 volts this morning. It was 12.7 when I just checked the bike.

When I put the new battery in do I need to do something with the throttle position sensors? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that when you reconnect the battery you need to do something to reset them.

Morning Roger

I don't think so but to be sure check your BMW riders manual under BATTERY REPLACE. I don't have a 2013R riders manual handy here.

If the riders manual mentions to do a key-on wide open throttle then do that. I would be willing to bet it will mention entering/re-setting the service date (you need to use either a GS-911 or the dealer) but if you don't disconnect the battery for long it might be OK.

Re-setting date won't effect operation, just the service reminder.

Archived