IGNORED

Platinum Bronze Metallic...A53?

Dean

I kept the silver top box from my "09. I cannot find a paint code for Platinum Bronze Metallic. My local paint supplier tried to scan my new '16 but had a challenge trying to find 4 square inches that are perfectly flat. The scanner indicated a bit of ambient light leakage everywhere he tried. He did get a recipe but it was outside of the margin of error that he felt comfortable with. He said "get me a code, you'll be much happier".

My google searches found that the 2008 BMW X5 was available in Platinum Bronze Metallic. Internet photos look close to the color I have. Paint code is A53. What do you think?

Dean

Thank you lkraus, A53 (Platinum Bronze Metallic) was used on BMW cars from 2005-08. The PPG code is 917288. The local API store mixed up a spray can of acrylic enamel for me. Shot the lid yesterday. Great match. Happy.

Thank you lkraus, A53 (Platinum Bronze Metallic) was used on BMW cars from 2005-08. The PPG code is 917288. The local API store mixed up a spray can of acrylic enamel for me. Shot the lid yesterday. Great match. Happy.

Glad it worked out. What was the cost for the quantity of paint you received? I'm considering my options for some scratch repairs on my panniers.

$23 for a normal sized spray can mixed to the above PPG coding. Enough for 4 light coats on the lid. Not quite as glossy (acrylic enamel) as the rest of the bike (base/clear)...yet, but way shinier than the original gray or silver. The color is spot on. Wife, neighbor and riding buddy all giving a thumbs up. The paint guy suggested hand buffing with a mild swirl remover after the paint cures...I'm going to wait a few weeks then give that a whirl on the area under the backrest. Thanks for getting me heading in the right direction.

Dean

Archived