IGNORED

Windshield

Craft

Ok. I have an 04 RT. The windshield that came on the bike was the BMW short screen, 14 inch I believe. I ordered a Cee Baileys #2 +2.5" Euro. (16.5") No quiet riding and it created a back draft that pushed me forward. I sent it back and ordered a #1 +4". Still no quiet riding even with the seat in the lowest position. If I duck down so I'm completely behind the screen I can see what quiet are would be but that has me looking completely through the screen.

I'm at a loss. I'm only 5-11. I had a Triumph Tiger last year with an 18" Madstad that was awesome! Visor up riding at 70 mph if I wanted. And I didn't have to look through the windshield. Now it was a little windy today and I am using a different helmet which ain't the most quiet with the vents open (Arai Signet Q). Maybe the BMW's don't allow the screen to go vertical enough.

What's a guy gotta do to get some quiet air on these bikes?

szurszewski

My 1100RT came with a large Aeroflow, which provided plenty of quiet air - in fact, for me, even in the low position, it was too much quiet air/not enough cooling airflow. (It did an amazing job of keeping the wet off.)

Someone on this board happened to offer me a stock windshield they had leftover from a previous bike, and I gladly tried that out thinking it would be my summer shield. I've had it on the bike for several years, year-round. In the down position it gets decent airflow in the summer, and in the up position it keeps it reasonably quiet and plenty dry.

I'm your height, so maybe all you need is a full size stock - or maybe a different brand of aftermarket would suit you better. I see you're in the PNW but not sure where. If you're anywhere near Portland, come on down some time and you can try out the two shields I have and see if either works for you.

josh

Thanks! I'm in Anacortes, WA. It'll be nice up here later in the week. I'm going to see how it feels then. I can't believe an 18" shield is too short.

Guest Kakugo

I've documented myself on the matter when I had the Kawasaki, which literally wore me down through a deadly combination of Von Karman vortexes and noise. A taller CalSci screen helped but it was still a far cry from an optimal solution.

You should really try fitting a standard height OE screen. BMW tourers have been designed since the R80RT to be comfortable at highway speeds on long hauls for riders about 180cm tall.

My Hexhead and all the BMW tourers I've ridden were very comfortable with the OE screenin the lowest position: only the K1600GT required rasing it a bit to eliminate the noise.

You'll get many opinions on screens but one you should try is the Z Technik V Stream.

It actually gets wider at the top, the only one to do this and has a mild flip at the top which in any brand, emulates a taller screen so the screen doesn't have to be up as high to protect.

Bear in mind, it's a motorcycle and you won't find a perfectly still bubble of air, but the V Stream is the closest I've found to that.

I believe they still have a satisfaction guarantee where after you give the screen an honest try and don't like it, you can send it back for a refund and you are only out the shipping.

Some big BMW dealers keep them in stock which makes it easier.

I have a chance to ride with the Cee Baileys #1 +4 and it is better than I first reported. I think the amount of wind there was on that first day had something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Craft,

I see you are also in Anacortes. I'm looking to make some sport touring friends to go on weekend day trips around Northwest WA.

I just moved here from Eastern WA and my neighbor friend rode an '04 1150RT.

Craft, I just rode a R1150rt from Scottsdale Az to Morgan Hill ca and will be bring it up to Lopez Is this weekend by truck (long Story), but it has Ce Bailey wind screen that I just loved I'm 5 10 very quite, and no back pressure. It is cut a little narrower than most I have ridden great for AZ maybe not for Wa. I live on Lopez most of the year so maybe we can hook for a ride I have a r1200rt the 1150 I was delivering for a friend.

I had 2 Cee Bailys . Great discount working at a dealership.

When the V Stream by Z technic/ National Cycle came out, I tried one and the CB's I gave away.

They make two heights and a satisfaction guarantee too.

Check the width of the ZT at the top. That makes all the difference .

• 1 month later...

Question on the 04 rt windshield. I was with a buddy today as he was test driving some 04 RT's and noticed that the bike is very similar to my 03. How ever the windscreen is a little wider and flairs out at the top. So two questions, is this a stock windscreen and is it an improvement on the 03 ?

Hope he buys the bike so I can swap his onto my bike for a test drive, as I would hate to spend a couple hundred on a screen that is no better than the one I have. Think the mounting is the same.

tom collins

i don't think it is stock. that one was smallish with no flare. having owned one, i remember it well. it ended up being cut down very low for summer riding as it beat my head up far too much.

realshelby
Question on the 04 rt windshield. I was with a buddy today as he was test driving some 04 RT's and noticed that the bike is very similar to my 03. How ever the windscreen is a little wider and flairs out at the top. So two questions, is this a stock windscreen and is it an improvement on the 03 ?

Hope he buys the bike so I can swap his onto my bike for a test drive, as I would hate to spend a couple hundred on a screen that is no better than the one I have. Think the mounting is the same.

Almost certainly a Cee Bailey aftermarket screen. They had 3 different designs for the 1100-1150 RT's. Two had the flare at the top. These are very good performing windshields, get the right height and you will be very happy with them.

Archived