IGNORED

Does anyone use a Fumoto type of quick oil/trains plug?

Doug_Baliko

Does anyone use a Fumoto, or other type of quick open valve, for their oil or transmission plug? Seems like it would be particularly useful on the trans where you could just push on a hose and drain the trans without the potential mess?

Doug

Not on a bike, but we ran one for years on our truck - lots and lots of miles of bad paved roads and decent-ish gravel roads, and no problems at all. I didn't even think about there being one available for the transmission on my bike (1100RT), but that would save a lot of mess!

I loved quick drains on aircraft and cars. My only reservation is that it will protrude from the oil pan further than the stock plug which is close to flush.

Frank

I don't know that I'd bother with one for oil - partly for the protrusion reason, though on the RT you'd have to really do something wrong to scrape that off (probably wouldn't be riding the bike anywhere at that point anyway), but also because it's not much hassle to use the regular plug - but it would be nice to not have to mess with draining the tranny fluid out the side, over the exhaust and through the footpeg plate whilst trying not to make a mess...

• 4 weeks later...
Doug_Baliko

Well, I went ahead and ordered one to use for my transmission. Now my next question is would you use the composite washer that comes with it or an aluminum crush washer?

Doug

szurszewski

Well, the worst that will happen is slow leak, yeah? If so, I'd start with the washer they supply and keep an eye on it. If it doesn't work, I'd go with a metal crush washer.

Archived